Working the day job downtown every day means that I have to pack a lunch every day. While I do work downtown in a big foodie city, I know that it's healthier and cheaper if I pack my own lunch, which I try to do, every day.
But sandwiches get old so I like to switch things up and make more healthy grown-up lunches that are easy for me to put together. Even if you are lucky enough to work where you can make yourself a gourmet lunch each day, I thought you may like a few of my suggestions.
My tips & tricks:
- leftovers are the best lunches. My trick? Before you serve dinner, put some in a container for lunch the next day. Boom. Lunch done.
- Make your lunches at night. As you clean up dinner or before you make dinner -- while you're already in the kitchen -- toss your lunch together. It's far less painful then trying to do it right before bed or when you get up.
- Sunday night is prep night. Cook a chicken breast or two, open some cans of beans, roast some veggies, do what you need to do so you have options for the week.
My favorite working-girl lunches:
- Sweet potato with kale and white beans (shown above). Microwave a sweet potato and stuff with sauteed kale and white beans, top with salt and pepper.
- Dice whatever root veggies you have on hand: onions, turnips, potatoes, carrots with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in the oven the night before.
- Microwave red potatoes and mix with grated cheese and diced red bell peppers
Big honkin' salads.
- Add a protein (beans or meat) to greens and add in chopped veggies or fruit, nuts and cheese. Get creative or try my favorite stand-bys:
- spinach, goat cheese, sliced almonds and chicken breast
- 1/4 cup black beans, mixed greens, tomato, avocado and top with shredded cheese.
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, mixed greens, tomatoes and feta
- 1/4 roasted and diced sweet potato, spinach, almonds, Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 chopped bacon, mixed greens, almonds and orange slices
- Make soups Sunday and put batches in containers to use for lunch.
- Easy tomato soup
- Crockpot chili
- Kale white bean soup
- Roasted sweet potato and quinoa soup
I hope this really helps! I feel like a lot of people can be stressed out by putting together a lunch but if you get into the habit of preparing for the week, it can be easy to find things that are healthy and easy.
Let me know if you have questions!