2/18/13

recipe: beet avocado citrus salad

Confession: this is only like my third time eating beets. It's my first time cooking them. Growing up, we just never really had beets. The only time I ate beets as a child was at a friend's house and the beets came from a can. And anytime it's a veggie from a can, it's bound to be a bad experience.

My only real understanding of beets came from the cartoon show "Doug." (Anyone else watch that religiously?) For whatever reason the characters on that show were obsessed with beets and ate them all the time... but being that it was a cartoon show, I didn't take much stock in it.

Fast forward to adulthood and I'm basically on this food quest to cook and experiment with foods I haven't had a lot of experience with. I've gotten the hang of kale, brussels sprouts and this week, it's beets. Next week... who knows... but I'm open to suggestions! ;)

I am also on a huge salad kick and after seeing some beet salad recipes in my latest edition of Cooking Light (if you're ever looking for a great recipe magazine, I highly recommend it), I decided to try my own version. This is what I came up with, and yes, it's delicious.


ingredients.
- 2 beets, washed, peeled and cooked (you can roast them at 350 with a bit of oil until soft, or microwave them for 5-10 minutes with an inch of water in a glass bowl, rotating halfway through.)
- 1/2 grapefruit, peeled & quartered
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1/8 cup goat cheese, crumbled (goat cheese is great because most people with a dairy intolerance can eat it, but you can choose another soft cheese here.)
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 tbs all-natural french vinaigrette dressing. make your own or I love this brand.

Slice beets, grapefruit and avocado and mix with greens. Sprinkle with goat cheese. enjoy!


xo, erika

6 comments

  1. I haven't tried goat cheese but this salad llooks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks and sounds so good! I love everything you've mixed into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had beets growing up either. But now, how I appreciate them! If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and pick up some *golden* beets and you will be amazed and their wonderfully smooth, and mild flavor and textures. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beets+goat cheese=my absolute fave.
    so so good. and this salad looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never ate beets as a child, but I fell in love with them a couple years ago. I'm always looking for interesting salads to make, will have to try out your recipe (I like the twist of adding grapefruit) And by the way, Doug was one of my favorite shows as a kid! (I even named my hamster after Patty Mayonnaise's guinea pig)
    http://www.linkouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, grapefruit and avocado is one of my fave food combos and so many people think I'm weird for it! Food twins! I've never thought about adding beets into the mix, yum! I looooove them roasted. I cannot wait for better produce in the PNW. Hoping to have a garden :D

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs