2/24/13

i made this




jacket: hinge // knit dress: self-made // scarf: paris // belt: mom's // tights: targets // boots: ebay

Growing up my mom made all my clothes. Leggings, t-shirts, skirts and dresses. She didn't really stop making my clothes until about fifth grade when told her it wasn't cool and I'd rather go to Old Navy.


So she was the person I called when I decided I wanted to sew a knit dress.

Generally, knits are little scary-- they can bunch under the sewing machine and do weird things-- and I had never sewed with knit before-- or really used a purchased pattern. (I make my own patterns for my bags.)


So I bought a heavy knit, one that would be easiest to sew with, and drove up to my parents' house this past Saturday.

The dress pattern was a little wonky-- I actually had to add a dart to the back because it gapped weird -- but I ended up being really happy with it.

Now I just have to decide what to make next. 

xo, erika

linking up to style elixir

18 comments

  1. so cute! I can't wait to see what you try next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I have a dream to design but fear holds me back....like sleeves! Eek! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done! I love how it turned out, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it!! I can't wait to see what other things you decide to make!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww love how your dressed turned out! great jacket too!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! A perfect basic layer dress! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fabulous! Now make me one! :)

    xo, Courtney
    http://shabbyloveschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shut up! That dress is SO cute, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. and your talents continue! so so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SO CUTE! I've been wanting to learn to sew like this. So far I've made curtains. I think I have some practicing to do before I try to tackle something like a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. knits are scary to sew! such a cute pattern! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only ever made quilts, which are strictly straight lines so I tip my cap to you for everything that you make! This dress in particular is perfect. It's so simple that you'll get a ton of use out of it.

    Love it!
    Dani
    littlespindle-dani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous job! Whatever changes you had to make, the fit turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is awesome, you did a wonderful job! my grandma made all my mom's clothes as a kid but my mom never had an interest in learning. I would really like to take sewing lessons in the next year or so.. would love to be able to make clothes for our future little ones now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It turned out so cute! I am kind of afraid of sewing since I'm positive that my sewing machine hates me. If it's not coming constantly unthreaded, it's sucking my fabric inside itself so I have to take the whole sewing machine apart to unjam it.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs