2/17/13

so i'm a runner + tips from the husband

It was somewhere between running five miles two Saturdays in a row and googling "easy half-marathons" that I suddenly realized I was a "runner."

One evening, after dinner, I turned to the husband and asked him if he ever thought this would happen.

He nodded. "I'm not surprised," he said. "Everyone who runs a little bit ends up getting bit by the running bug eventually."

So here I am with the running bug and contemplating a half-marathon-- (insane!)-- in June.

Part of how I got here is that I'm married to a guy who really knows his running stuff. I may have mentioned that he's a crazy marathon man, but he's also the shoe buyer at one of the most well-respected (and famous) running stores in the country. And he has good advice-- some advice I thought I'd share with you.

I know running isn't for everyone, but if you run or have ever thought about running, here are some tips from him. (take it away husband...)

<><><>


>> Set attainable goals.  Running is hard enough on it's own.  Don't make it harder on yourself by setting goals that are unreachable.  If you're just starting out running for the first time ever, try alternating running and walking for one minute at a time, for twenty minutes total.  Try that three times per week for a week or two and then increase the amount of time you're running and decrease the amount you're walking.

>> Get a good pair of running shoes.  Google (and preferably Yelp) running stores in your area and head there to get fitted for a pair of shoes.  A good pair of running shoes is going to cost anywhere from $100-$120.  Any store that tries to sell you shoes for $150 or above isn't worth your time.  Running shoes will generally last you 300-500 miles, but all miles count, however.  If you grocery shop, walk the dog, and get coffee while in your shoes, you can add those miles to the shoes.  Try to only run in your running shoes.  They'll last a lot longer.

>> Be consistent. The biggest reason that people don't reach their running goals is lack of consistency.  Be hard on yourself about when you're going to run.  I run first thing in the morning, and am pretty obnoxious about it (just ask Erika). I won't commit to doing anything until I've got my run in for the day.  This is just what works for me.  I know if I don't run first thing in the morning I'll create excuses throughout the day as to why I shouldn't run.  Find a time that works best for you and stick to it.

>> Running is tough.  Most runs you go on will be uncomfortable to some degree.  Even as you get faster and more fit, running is still hard at (most) times.  Embracing the pain and realizing that it's only temporary is an absolute key in achieving your running goals.  One of the most rewarding parts of running is building confidence by running through the pain and uncomfortableness of the daily grind.  Having a "stick to it" attitude and being willing to suffer (at least a little!) will pay off in the long run.
<><><>

Have running questions or need a training schedule? Ask in the comments below or tweet my husband @eriggs. :)

xo, erika

p.s. did you see the sale (and new items) in the shop

2 comments

  1. I am so glad you posted this! My husband is in the Army and has been trying to get me to run for the longest time. I did it twice this weekend and it was pretty hard. Thank you for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you doing a half marathon in Seattle or somewhere else? I've been looking at signing up for a run (maybe 10k though... not sure I can handle a half). Anyway, I think it would be super fun to go somewhere cool and make it a mini vacation!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs