11/5/12

recipe: kale white bean soup


or alternatively titled-- how to get your husband to eat kale.

Kale is not the most friendly vegetable-- it's not dippable like carrots and it's got a bitter taste if you eat it straight off the stalk. But, prepared right it's pretty delicious (at least I think so) and of course, it's super healthy.

Of course, if you're like my husband, kale is is like getting a shot-- sure it's good for you, but it's not an enjoyable experience. (in fact, moments ago he just told me: honey, I just don't like kale.)

I've tried a number of ways to get the husband to eat it... and the best way is to hide it in soup.

Kale White Bean Soup
1 tbs olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
1 small white onion, finely diced
4 cups chopped kale (removed from stalks)
2 cans low-sodium white beans (cannelli beans are what I usually use)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 can no salt added diced tomatoes
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp sage (or a few sprigs of fresh sage)
1 tsp dried basil (or a few leaves fresh)
salt & pepper to taste
optional: chicken sausage diced and added to the soup
optional: pecorino-romano (or parmesan) cheese grated and added to the top

- In a large pot, saute garlic and onion in the oil until translucent. Add kale and saute about 4 minutes or until slightly wilted and bright green.
- Remove the kale from the pot and add the beans, broth, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Using an immersion blender or blending in batches, blend about half the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and kale. Cook until kale is heated through.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread and top with cheese.


healthy and a sneaky way to get your kale fill.
 

xo, erika

7 comments

  1. yum! I have to try this one :) I love kale. We've actually had it as a side the past two evenings for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I wonder if I could get the boyfriend to eat this. He's not a soup fan but it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks super tasty! We picked up some kale from the farmer's market on Sunday and I've been trying to decide what to do with it all. Luckily the boyfriend enjoys it (maybe even a little too much because he makes me cook even the ends that I would normally chop off-sigh). It does have the tendency to be quite healthy tasting though so this is quite clever of you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kale soup! thanks for sharing!!! (nice to meet you on Saturday, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks very good! I don't think I've ever had kale, but I kind of want to try this recipe now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks and sounds amazing. I've actually never picked up kale before, but I'm definitely eager to try anything new. I can almost smell this cooking. :) I actually use white beans to make this bean dip, and I love it (and them). Trying this soup would give me another reason to buy them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!! I make green drinks with Kale for husband and me, but, he literally chokes it down (I like it). I will have to try it in soup. That looks delicious! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs