4/3/12

recipe: black bean burgers with fries

Everyone has their guilty pleasure meal.

And mine are burgers.

 Not McDonalds-fast-food-flattened-sad little burgers, but big juicy ones with loads of toppings. And a side of fries. Don't forget the pickle.

If the husband and I are going out to happy hour, I'm likely ordering a burger. With sweet potato fries. And I could probably eat a burger a few times a week. But I know that it's not quite the healthiest option, which is why I made a modified version this week, which ended up being just as delicious.

black bean burgers with non-fried potato fries


black bean burgers
1 can low sodium black beans
2 tbs light mayo
1 tbs bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tsp cumin
2 tbs hot sauce
flour for dusting the patties
2 tbs olive oil

rinse black beans and mash 'em well with the mayo. (it doesn't need to be perfectly mashed, a few chunks is still cool) // add bread crumbs, cilantro, cumin, hot sauce mix well // sprinkle your hands with flour and make 4 or 5 patties. dust with flour // cook in olive oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side or to desired doneness // serve on a bun, or stuffed in a pita topped with salsa

not-fried french fries
4 or 5 potatoes, scrubbed
seasoning -- I use sea salt and cumin
1 to 2 tbs olive oil

slice your taters lengthwise and then chop into fry-like sticks // toss with olive oil & your choice of seasoning in a large bowl // cook on a cooking tray (you may want to spray it with non-stick spay) at 450 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping fries half-way through. Depending on the thickness of your fries, you may have to bake them longer or shorter.

enjoy!

xo, erika





12 comments

  1. yum! I'll have to try this one...I love a burger too! and the cilantro has be convinced to give this recipe a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'm totally going to try out this recipe, I love a good burger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious! I love burgers, and black beans so this is a must-try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting an easy recipe for black bean burgers. Yum! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds amazing! we made sweet potato fries for this first time this past weekend and they were amazing!!

    http://babybakerlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! Nothing better than bean burgers and sweet potato fries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooohhhh those fries look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey girl :) I just found your blog through Gentri's and I have to say, I really love it! You have the cutest style ever!

    ~Hima
    horcruxesandhallows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love black bean burgers! The recipe I use always turns out too runny though, maybe I'll try this one next time. Love your blog!

    Allyssa
    breakfastatthezemkes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been wanting to make my own black bean burgers...totally pinning this =).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing. My husband loves any kind of burger veggie or otherwise so I plan on making these :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs