4/24/12

diy: bow belt


 I've been wanting a mint bow belt for quite some time and so when I had made a spare moment, I decided to make my own!

supplies:
cotton fabric
needle + thread + sewing machine if you have one
sew-on snaps

belt directions:

step 1: measure your waist and add two inches to the length.

step 2: cut out fabric 2 inches by the previous length


step 3: fold the fabric in half "hot-dog" style with the yuckier sides facing out toward you and press with an iron. Fold in the edges at the top and bottom of the belt 1/4 inch and press.

step 4:  Sew along the edge with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. (not the top or bottom)


step 4: turn that sucker inside out (use a pointy device to help you with this.)

step 5: Sew along the top and bottom (your frayed edges should be neatly tucked inside.) set the belt aside.

bow directions:

step 1: cut out two rectangles of fabric, 1 large, 1 smaller.  I did 4 x 10 for one, and 3 x 5 for the other.

step 2: fold the large rectangle in half, press it with an iron and fold in the edges of at the top and bottom (about 1/4 inch) and press.

step 3: sew along the long edge. turn inside out and press the fabric so that the seam is in the middle-- (see the image below at left)



step 4: tuck one end into the other and stitch it so you have a tube (see above image at right)

step 5: follow step 2 for the small rectangle. This should result in a nice little tube (see image at left).


step 6: Pinch your large rectangle into a bow shape and squeeze it through the tube.


bow belt:

step 1: stitch the bow to your belt

step 2: measure where you want your snaps to be (I wrapped the belt around my waist toward the front and marked with a pen where I wanted the snaps to line up) and sew them on.

step 3: pair your cute bow belt with your favorite dress or skirt!


** if my bow tutorial wasn't so great... check out these directions too-- they're a tad different.

** this belt tutorial is super fun! but it's not for you to make and sell... just to make and wear or make and share. :)

xo, erika


p.s. you still have time to enter my birthday giveaway. it's pretty good. jus' saying.

19 comments

  1. super cute! I was just thinking this morning I need to take the time to make some belts or something. Today, I have a scarf wrapped around my middle, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I've been looking at some similar tutorials lately... unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine though. Perhaps it would work without it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is so cute! And your outfit is too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an adorable DIY! I also have to say the mint color is fantastic, definitely my favorite for this season.

    Gabriella

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love that color! SO great. I've been wanting some mint accessories for while now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is sooo cute & simple! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um how adorable are you in that dress? Great tutorial! xo JA

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! i've been wanting to make my baby boy a little bow tie but of course i can't sew. i'm determined to learn soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally adorable!

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this.

    ps: lovely blog by the way, i can't wait to read more!

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this.

    ps: lovely blog by the way, i can't wait to read more!

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! And it looks so easy! You could make this in every color! I think I'm definitely going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs