4/16/12

finding my voice

[oops. apparently I'm a little rusty on the bike.]


[the husband calls this outfit my 1970s outfit.]

 blouse: Nordstrom // belt: thrifted // jeans: Gap // shoes: Wanted

I learned something recently.

No, it wasn't how to ride a bike. I know how to do that, even though I randomly fell off it while the husband was taking cute outfit photos.

But I was reading back through my blog (I don't recommend you do this) and was cringing at the slight differences I portrayed myself.



What I realized was that previously I was trying too hard. I wanted so badly to be liked that I wasn't being true to myself. And that's the number one thing I would tell anyone who asked for advice when blogging-- be yourself. (Apparently I'm terrible at following my own guidance.)

What I now understand is that my blog needs to reflect all of me: a little silly and random, someone who laughs easily at myself and tends to be a little absent-minded.  And I blog to be creative, to share what I'm loving, to engage with others and because I like it.



And if we want to go big-picture advice here-- the lesson is that I need to be myself and share my voice in all circumstances. Not just here.

Are you learning anything recently?

xo, erika

p.s. if you're in a reader/email/mobile phone, click on through to my blog! I redesigned it and I'm kind of excited that I did it without anyone's help. (humble brag, I know. Couldn't help it.)

p.p.s. it's my birthday in 6 days and I decided (late notice) that I'm going to do a fabulous giveaway. I have a few people lined up, but if you'd like to join in, give me a shout! :)




linking up here:

Momma Go Round

17 comments

  1. the re-design looks awesome! I hope PS for bloggers helped you with this one :).

    I agree on the blog advice and it's the same one I give to new bloggers - be genuine. Nothing worse than someone who is faking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new look! I also love the pictures on your bike, awesome! And yes, being genuine is the most important part of blogging, I definitely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your yellow top! And I miss bike riding!

    P.S. I'd be happy to offer a month sponsor spot on my blog for your giveaway! Shoot me an email if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww yay you and your blog design!! Its adorable. <33 And your bike, loveee it. :)) Yay for funny pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new look :)

    And it took me a long time to just be me and to say all the things that float around my head but you are right once you do it is so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new look :)

    And it took me a long time to just be me and to say all the things that float around my head but you are right once you do it is so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your redesign is spiffy, you should feel proud! Super adorable outfit photos today too, you look straight out of the 70s I must agree :) I'm so glad you're addressing this topic of being yourself on your blog...I want to get to know the real you, and I'm sure it will be better than any "imaginary" you that you could pretend to be! Such great advice for all of us to remember :)

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    Enter my Shabby Apple GIVEAWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your new blog look and now I want to go for a bike ride!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your shirt girl! and cute blog redesign! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun lol :) great photos :)

    sam*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the new look on your blog. Awesome job! :)

    haha love these photos! Totally has a 70s vibe going on!

    It can be really hard to "find" your voice when you first start out with blogging. Haha hmm I haven't ever gone back to re-read my old blog posts... I can't even really remember them, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! Loving the bike riding & the new blog look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your cute outfit!! That color shirt goes so well with your hair and coloring, in general. And I love your advice, too. It's something I value, myself, when I am posting in my blog. And you're so right! People want to know who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is true. When you are yourself and don't try, people will naturally be attracted to you. Cute outfit :)

    Stopping by from CUP 1/2 Full.

    Lauren Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  15. you seriously are just about the cutest thing i've ever seen. i love stopping by your blog. for some reason, i find that i always end up smiling, and i love that about it here. thanks for being you, and for linking up! much love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blogging advice. I am very new to blogging, and that's my biggest hurdle -- getting over self-consciousness and just being myself. So thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs