12/16/12

thoughts on advent


I don't think it's by accident we celebrate Christmas in the darkest time of the year. When I look out my window at 3 p.m., the sun is already heading toward the horizon. By 4, it's pitch black.

Sometimes that darkness is not just our shortened days but the state of our surroundings. There's no denying that we live in a dark world sometimes-- a place where people hurt, where people act out in unthinkable ways, and where people mourn to the greatest degree.

In the darkest days of what can be a cruel world, God sent us light in His Son, Emmanuel, a reminder that He is with us always.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:5

Despite the terror of Friday, the horrors of what has happened in Portland, Aurora, what is happening in Syria now, what happens in people's homes, what happens in people's hearts, I believe that there is light shining in the darkness and no matter the depth of what happens, the light will not be extinguished.

I will chose to look toward God and His light in the midst of tragedy.

And whatever you believe, I know that you can find light, too-- in good things and good people that defy the darkness.

xo, erika



5 comments

  1. I always hope that when something really horrible happens that we can all find ways to make things more positive. It can't change what has happened but maybe it can change the way people view things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Thank you for this simple + lovely post Erika!! I needed to read this today!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Erika! You are so right..thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs