6/13/12

it's hard to jump in a pencil skirt


 denim shirt: thrifted (similar) // belt: old from the gap // pencil skirt: h&m // boots: macys

When I graduated college I had this idea that I was going to be wearing blazers, dress pants and pencil skirts in my high-fangled job in downtown Seattle.

(oh how I love pencil skirts.)

so shortly before graduation, I sidled on down to H&M and picked up a classic black one.

A classic black one that I rarely wear because I live in Seattle and both of my day jobs after graduation have required anything more formal than jeans.

There are guys at my current job that wear hooded sweatshirts with jeans and flip flops.

Some of them wear slippers or go in their socks around the office.

What I'm saying is that I don't get the opportunity to wear my classic black pencil skirt.

But I decided that I was going to make that opportunity. You hear about people dressing something up -- this is me, dressing something down.

Casual jeans on top, dressy skirt on the bottom. I think it works.

Except for jumping photos. Pencil skirts are not useful for jumping photos. Remember that.


happy thursday, friends.

xo, erika

p.s. don't forget to enter the shabby apple giveaway and to link up tomorrow for friday finds + favorites!

10 comments

  1. Hard to jump, but completely cute. Love a pencil skirt. I like how you paired yours with a casual top.

    Seattle Beauty Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously obsessed with how you styled this outfit! Never thought to style my black pencil skirt w/more casual pieces- it looks so cute & cool!

    P.S. I know how you feel about not being able to wear cute things to work- my last job was like that. Almost made me uncomfortable to wear my normal clothes to work bc/ someone would always say something!

    xx Louise
    A Little Beauty Luxury

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great!
    I live in Alaska, and in most places people are always dressed down. I'm glad to kick it up a notch daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pencil skirts are so cute and sophisticated, but I haven't had the courage to buy one yet.. I'm too short! You look great and I love how you've paired it with the casual boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic!! I love the dress bottom combined with the casual top!! You always balance your outfits so effortlessly Erika!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does work. Love it! I never had to dress up for any of my jobs either. It was half good half disappointing :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to own a pencil skirt...love your dressed down look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, the title of this post cracked me up! I love the denim shirt, these two pieces go together surprisingly well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just be happy you don't have to wear black pants and black shirts EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. So boring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha love your awkward jumping picture! :)

    Great way to dress down a snazzy dress skirt!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs