7/9/13

thank you mom

 

Looking at these images I feel like a little kid again.

And wearing this dress I felt like a little kid. Not necessarily because it was a little kid dress -- although little kid me would have been all over this number -- but because my mom sewed it for me and growing up, my mom sewed nearly all my clothes.

I was a picky little kid. My leggings could not bunch and being the skinniest, little chicken-legged kid ever, leggings from the store were going to bunch. So my mom sewed 'em for me. And goodness sake, I gave her an earful about getting them just right. (Picky and demanding. I was so charming.)

She also made me dresses. When I was really little, they were ruffles added to Target tees (isn't that a brilliant diy?) But she also sewed me elaborate Easter dresses, including this one lavender number that had pearl buttons marching down the front. I felt like a princess in it. It's still at my parents' house --awaiting another little girl to wear it someday in the far-off future.

It wasn't until fifth grade when I told her that I couldn't wear the horse leggings she made me anymore, or the sweatshirt dress. I needed to wear jeans. Occasionally we sewed outfits together, and we still stole moments after dinner for fabric store jaunts. In high school, she taught "sewing camp" to me and a bunch of my friends.


For my birthday she told me she wanted to sew me a dress and it was as if I was five again. We made a trip to the fabric store, I picked out a pattern and we agonized over which fabric to choose. (hardest decision ever for fabric hoarders like us.)

I feel like a lot of people have wonderful mothers -- moms they call their best friend -- but I have to say that my mother is in a category all on her own. She truly is one of my dearest, dearest friends and I love spending time with her -- I love sewing with her and learning from her-- and I am so blessed to get to learn from her, not just the sewing things, but big, wonderful life and faith things.

After she made this dress, she told me that I could tell others that she made it, but she made me promise that I wouldn't tell any of my friends that she would make them one. Apparently the pattern was not as simple as we thought. So admire the dress, but no, my mom won't make you one.

You know what I also realize looking at these photos? My hair is ridiculously long. It's getting to the point where I feel like I should do something about it. But I'm not entirely sure what.

happy wednesday!

xo, erika

wear:
dress: handmade -- using this pattern
belt: off another dress
shoes: Steve Madden, old

bangle: thrifted

linking up to the pleated poppy, style elixir, fashion + faith






21 comments

  1. This is gorgeous! Your mom's sewing skills are amazing; I can't believe this isn't store bought.

    Also, your hair is ridiculously pretty. You don't need to do a thing.

    xo Kristina Rose
    wwww.thewhimsicaldays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is something really amazing you get to share with your mom! My mom keeps telling me she should teach me to sew so I stop bugging her to hem my stuff but... I'm so lazy. Isn't that sad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dress is amazing, so pretty. And even more special because your momma made it for you! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pattern + cut of this dress!!! Beautiful Erika!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable!! I wish I knew how to sew better! Love your mom for such a great hobby to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your mom sounds adorable! (and talented)...such a cute dress! i wish i could sew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cute dress! I wish my mom could sew :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. stop being so cute!!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute, cute, cute - a perfect pairing with your hair color!

    Popped by from WIW.

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous outfit! You look so cute! If you get a chance, please link up to What We Wore Party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-we-wore-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are pretty much adorable!

    http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-i-wore-red-white-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is the best! I am so in love :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute dress! You look adorable :)

    Abby
    Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom is a talent. Darling dress!

    Thank you for choosing to link up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This makes me want to learn how to sew so I can make dresses as pretty as this one! Love the belt too :)
    xo, Scarlett
    The Trendy Chick

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a beautiful dress, and it certainly makes it all the more special that your mother made it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That dress is beautiful, your mom is very talented! I'm expecting this fall, and my mom has picked up the knitting needles for the first time in decades to knit the baby a hat :-)

    Bev
    Linkouture: Musings on the Creative Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so wonderful that your mom always sewed clothes for you. I truly appreciate parents who can do that!! This is really a sweet dress on you!!!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my gosh, how sweet! it's darling!! my grandma made all of my mom's clothes, but my mom never took any interest in sewing. i always wished my grandma lived close so i could learn from her! one of these days i just need to take a class. you look so darn cute in these photos.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs