7/14/13

power suit


I've never worked at a place where I needed to dress up.
When I first worked at a newspaper, right out of college, few people wore collared shirts. When I was working the night shift there, some people wore workout clothes, holey jeans and sweatshirts. Nothing fancy.


Even now, working a corporate setting, there's not a whole lot of collared shirts. And in Seattle in general, there's few collared shirts -- the birthplace of grunge is better known for flannel shirts and fleece than business suits.


So whenever I wear this white shirt I feel really formal -- paired with a skirt, I practically feel White House-worthy. With heels, shoot, I'm ready to meet the queen.

There's something about a put-together outfit that makes you feel like you can take on whatever. I understand that term "powersuit," because when you put something like that on, you do feel powerful. My outfit is nowhere near power-suit worthy, but it definitely makes me feel like I can take a lot on-- and with Renegade, I have been taking a lot on. Maybe I'll have to start wearing the white blouse while I stay up sewing these next few days.

xo, erika

wear: 
blouse: JCPenney
necklace: H&M
skirt: Everly via StitchFix
heels: Urban Outfitters

linking up to fashion & faith!

10 comments

  1. You look gorgeous, and I LOVE the colors together! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun take on a "power suit", because wearing all black is NO FUN! Great look on you and you look ready to take the world on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your outfit! I also love dressing up and putting on a "power suit", so to speak. Wear I work, we just have a t-shirt with a logo on it that we wear. Most of my co-workers wear workout clothes and have their hair up. But I just love making my shirt not so boring! Some of my coworkers call me crazy, but I absolutely believe in dressing a bit more dressy than the office/work space norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good lady, you make dressing formal look so fun. Love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this 'power suit'! I know exactly what you mean. My office is business casual (which in California means business very casual). Sometimes I feel over the top in my bright colors and heels but ultimately it makes me happy and that's all that matters. :)

    Lauren
    Style of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
  6. Obsessed with this entire outfit.

    Thanks for linking up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl!! This outfit is ROCKIN! I totally know what you mean...having that specific outfit that makes you feel like you can take on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work at a university and people dress pretty casual too. If I wear heels I feel super-fancy! But there definitely is something about being nicely dressed that makes you feel so powerful!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs