7/10/13

make it: black bean patties



Some nights the husband works late and I decide it's time for a girly dinner. I say "girly dinner" because the husband usually likes to have some sort of meat in the meal. I'll make something vegetarian, and afterwards he might say something like "this was delicious--- but next time can we add chicken?"

I'm not against meat-- I do try and eat sustainably farmed meat-- but I also do like to eat vegetarian for dinner at least once a week and usually don't have any meat for lunch. I also have a weird thing against chicken. In college, in the house I lived in, we made meals together and I happened to live with a bunch of girls who would only eat chicken. No red meat, no pork, no fish, nothing. And let me tell you, after eating poorly prepared chicken for four years, you kind of have a problem with eating it. I've been out of college for awhile, but I still have issues with eating that bird.

So I eat a lot of other proteins-- like black beans. I'm obsessed with this one black bean burger at a local bar near our house, so I tried to recreate it and was pretty pleased with the result.

 

ingredients:
one can low-salt black beans, rinsed and drained
3 tbs olive oil 
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
red pepper to taste 
3 tbs of panko bread crumsb, plus two more cups to roll the patties in

In a blender, pulse the black beans with egg, garlic and salt. Do not overblend, the bean shape should still be slightly visible. (I pulse about 20 times with my lame blender.) 
Scrape the bean mixture into a bowl and stir in the spices and bread crumbs.
Form into four patties. 
Heat a skillet over medium heat, and grease liberally. 
Dredge the patties through the panko and cook in the pan, 10 minutes should do it.
Serve on a bun, or with a mixed green salad.



xo, erika


4 comments

  1. This looks really tasty! I am not a big meat eater, mostly because we were so poor growing up my mom and dad made most of their meals with beans, lentils, and that sort of thing instead. Andrew is the complete opposite. Half Irish, he grew up in a meat and potatoes household. Recently, we realized that he was actually losing weight because I had been cooking too many vegetarian meals that didn't have enough protein for his high metabolism rate, so we've been looking for vegetarian options that have more protein. I'll have to keep this in mind for a meal soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! My husband doesn't eat red meat, so we eat a lot of chicken and turkey. I kind of get sick of it after a while. Since he's been away in training I've been eating a lot less meat and a lot more veggies and vegetarian type meals! It's always so much easier to prepare. I love all the healthy recipes you post! Keep it up!


    hellolovegirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about black bean burgers and I can't wait to add your recipe to my to-cook list. I'll let you know it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs