7/3/13

happy fourth & mojito popsicles




I don't know that mojito popsicles are the most Fourth of the July-esque, but what's better than a juicy popsicle on a hot day?

And it's been hot. I don't know if you follow weather patterns in the U.S. but it's been unseasonably hot here in Seattle.  There's this joke that summer doesn't start until July 5th as usually July 4th is pouring rain and cold. Two years ago, I remember huddling under a blanket, under a tented canopy, as the grill sizzled with rain, not burgers.

This year promises to be different. It's been 90, then hovered around 80 and I think it'll stay that way, even over on the peninsula where I'll be. Perfect for popsicles, right? Right.

And popsicles, I decided, are in this year. First it was cupcakes, then cake pops, then pies... and now popsicles are the "cool" thing. We're cool now.

Last year I tried to be cool, but the popsicle molds from the dollar store just did not cut it. So this year, I snagged these ones from Amazon and I highly recommend them.  (They're a great price too!)

Also, mojitos are my favorite. I'm not a huge cocktail fan but there's something about mint and lime that's just spot on.

The recipe is nothing fancy; I just made my favorite mojito recipe and poured into popsicle molds (it filled 5 of the 6 molds.)


recipe:
Juice from 2 limes
one generous handful of mint leaves
2 cups of lemon lime sparkling water
7 tsp of simple syrup
6 oz of rum (omit if you want to make them virgin!)

In a large pitcher, add lime juice and mint leaves.
Muddle the mint leaves with the back of clean wooden spoon, (unless you're awesome enough to own an official cocktail muddler)
Add in sparkling water, simple syrup and rum.

Pour slowly into popsicle molds.

You'll need to freeze this for at least 4 hours, but if you do add the alcohol, I would suggest doing at least 6 to 8 hours for a more solid popsicle.



enjoy & have a happy, safe fourth!

xo, erika




5 comments

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs