7/16/13

recipe: homemade salsa



This week I'm not sure where my head has been.

Saturday morning I woke up to discover that I didn't have any coffee. I leashed up the monster dog and we walked to the store, where I found a bunch of other necessities I had to pick up. Get home and realize that I had left the coffee. Of course.

On Tuesday, I overslept my alarm and ran out the door, pulling on clothes as I went. And I completely forgot to put on my makeup and or even grab my makeup bag to do it on the bus. So there was that.

And of course, there was another fateful day when I forgot to buy salsa. If there's anything you'll need to know is that chips and salsa are always in my house. It's the go-to snack, the go-to comfort good and honestly, sometimes my go-to meal.



It was in that salsa-less moment, that I decided to whip up a batch of my own. And it was surprisingly simple and good.

recipe:
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (or 3-5 tomatoes, depending on size)
- 1 jalepeno (remove the seeds, if you want a milder salsa)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- juice of one lime
- pinch of red pepper (or more, depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of salt
- handful of fresh cilantro
optional: black beans, corn or anything else you want to throw it in!

Throw everything in a blender, reserved a few sprigs of cilantro for garnish, and blend for just a few seconds to mix everything.

The salsa will keep in the fridge up to a week. 


xo, erika

4 comments

  1. Mmm, this looks delish! I am always on the lookout for good salsa--I have a hard time finding good ones at the store. Why is that the restaurants always have the best? They need to share their secrets ;)

    Ps. thanks for favoriting my jewelry shop on Etsy! Realized after I did some stalking that I've favorited your bags before, you make such adorable stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUUUUUUM! Gimme. If it is one thing I LOVE it's salsa. I could eat that stuff ALL DAY LONG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making salsa! This one sounds delish, would never think to put apple cider vinegar in it.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs