11/28/12

recipe: potato cauliflower soup


I have always loved soup, from chicken noodle in a can to my mom's homemade turkey noodle. And apparently, I really like making it (just browse through my recent posts).

Soup is honestly the easiest thing to cook and there's something satisfying about throwing things in a pot.

Also, it's such a good excuse for dipping grilled, cheesy bread.

This is my take on a healthier potato soup. (to make up for all that bread) ;)

potato cauliflower soup

one cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs flour
2 celery stalks
2 bay leaves
4 cups broth (I used low sodium chicken) 
1 cup water
1/2 tsp thyme (fresh is best)
1/2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup lowfat milk
1 tsp black pepper
optional: carrots and additional diced potato (my husband doesn't like completely smooth soups-- he's like something in there "to chew" so I always toss some veggies in at the end.)

add olive oil to large pan on medium high heat and sautee onions and garlic until translucent.
stir in flour
add chopped cauliflower, celery, and potatoes
sautee for two minutes.
add water, broth, bay leaves, thyme and bring to a boil.
reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender
remove the bay leaves and either blend the soup in batches or use an immersion blender
stir in soy sauce, milk, and pepper.

optional: add in additional veggies and cook and top with thyme.


serve and enjoy!

xo, erika

3 comments

  1. yum! this sounds so tasty. We really need an immersion blender, or so we tell ourselves when we make soup, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! My husband and I have replaced mashed potatoes with cauliflower mashed "potatoes," and it's one of our favorite sides. We have it at least once a week. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs