11/22/12

best pumpkin pie


 I confess to be a big pumpkin pie lover.

With a big big caveat.

I only like homemade pumpkin pie.

But even then, the pie can't be soggy. Slimy pumpkin pie just about ruins it for me. (And probably most people.)

If you're looking for a last-minute pie recipe, can I suggest mine? It's truly a recipe that has been passed down through generations... and I promise, it's not slimy.


best pumpkin pie (makes two pies)

Crust:
2 C. flour               
5 to 8 tbs ice water
2/3 C. shortening     
1 Tsp salt
In large mixing bowl, whisk flour and salt together. 
Add shortening and mix with pastry blender till it looks like course crumbs. 
Add ice water a few tablespoons at a time mixing with a fork (or your hands) until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl and pull into a ball. 
Split dough in half, place in 2 sandwich bags and refrigerate for at least an hour. 
Roll out on a floured surface until about 1/4 of an inch thin and place in pie dish. Pinch edges around the dish.
Filling:
1 big can of filling, or two regular 12 oz cans
4 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk

Mix sugar through nutmeg in a medium bowl.
Seperate egg whites from yolks and beat egg whites until they begin to form peaks.
In a large bowl, mix egg yolks with pumpkin. 
Add sugar mixture to pumpkin
Slowly stir in milk.
Fold in egg white last, do not overmix. 
Pour contents into the two pie dishes. 
Bake at 375 degrees for an hour



happy thanksgiving!
xo, erika



2 comments

  1. The pumpkin pie looks really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently made a pumpkin pie for my husbands birthday and it was no good! Well, the middle was good, but the crust was horrible. I am going to bookmark this one...it looks like perfection! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs