11/11/12

easy crockpot applesauce


I'd like to take credit for making this applesauce, but honestly I didn't do much. Most of the hard wok was done by my crockpot -- all 6 hours of work.

Good job crockpot.

Usually my crockpot is reserved for stews and meatier, dinner-y type dishes, and I was excited to use it for something a little sweeter.

My dad handed off nearly 10 pounds of apples to me (from my parents' tree) this weekend and making applesauce seemed like the perfect way to use some of them up.


Crockpot applesauce (or the best way to make your house smell amazing.)

8-10 peeled & cored apples
1/2 cup water
3-4 tbs brown sugar (less if your apples are on the sweet side, like Fuji apples)


So the worst part of it all? Peeling 10 apples. But honestly it is so worth it for the applesauce that comes warm out of the crockpot a few hours later.


Just peel, remove the cores and throw the apples in the crockpot (no need to dice or really chop up the apples at all.)

Add the sugar and water and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.


Once cooked through, mashed it all with a large spoon or fork. I liked mine a little more chunky, but if you like your applesauce smooth, I'm sure you could shuttle it to the blender. But you should definitely try it while it's warm... it's awesome.




enjoy!


xo, erika

p.s. I feel like this would be amazing with ice cream. Kind of like an apple pie without the crust.

7 comments

  1. I love making homemade applesauce. My grandma taught me. I've never made it in a crockpot (I do it on the stove). But I love my crockpot, so I should probably try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so brilliant! I never would have thought of making applesauce in the crockpot, I pretty much use it exclusively for stews and meats. I will definitely be trying this out on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great minds think alike because i did exactly this this weekend too! husband brought home a ton of apples so i bought mason jars and have been giving them out to friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would totally be good ice cream! Yum, I love applesauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my god, put it in my mouth. I hate peeling apples because I have really sensitive skin and any sort of fruit/veggie juice irritates them. I basically have to wear gloves. BUT I loooooove warm apple sauce. Especially with pork. Pork and warm apple sauce. Oh my god. Ok, I'm gonna stop now but seriously, you have tantalized my taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhh my oh my that looks delicious. I think my little one would agree. Gonna have to make this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh my oh my that looks delicious. I think my little one would agree. Gonna have to make this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs