9/9/12

while you were out

back in the days of early DIY-TV, there was Trading Spaces. And there was another show: While You Were Out."

I loved both of these shows but I really liked "While You Were Out" because I love surprising people. I also like being surprised (although it rarely happens.)

The husband left to go watch his beloved Huskies take on LSU-- leaving me home alone for the weekend. I decided it was the perfect time to tackle an enormous project (because I'm crazy like that.)

You see, I have a vendetta against carpet. And I understand why some people like carpet, but to me, it never feels clean.** Our little house has all original hardwood floors (it was built in 1942) except for one room where its hidden by carpet: the husband and my attic bedroom. I hate that carpet. Nasty nasty nasty stained ancient stuff that NEEDED to go! The perfect time to rip it up? While the husband was out and my mom was free...




Side note: Ripping up carpet is NOT easy. (Although it is fun to throw the rolls out the window.) Also, rusty carpet tacks can make you bleed and you'll need to get a tetanus shot. Good thing Walgreens has 24-hour pharmacies and offers 'em on random Friday nights.

Oh, I also rearranged the room-- cuz why not?

As I write this, the husband is not home yet... I'll be leaving to get him from the airport in about an hour. I'm not sure what he'll think of all this... but I'll let you know the reaction tomorrow! :)

xo, erika

**my neighbor told me that carpet weighs on average THREE TIMES more when it's removed than when it's installed. yuck.

18 comments

  1. Wow, that looks like a really tough job! Hopefully your husband loves it! :)

    http://denysiayu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous floors - I don't blame you for ripping it out! And I lived those shows too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing friend!!! I bet he'll love it. we love our wood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow girl!! go you for deciding to tackle that project yourself! we did that for our old house and it was NOT easy or fun! props to you! let us know what the husband says!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  5. you go, girl! I love it and your ambition to tackle something like that! I also love that you went to Walgreens on Friday night. You're right about those tack, ouch! got me through my shoes once, ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beautiful floor was under there this whole time?? I am with you, wood floors are the best. What a beautiful bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness!! It looks FANTASTIC Erika!! Sadly the people who lived here before us didn't treat the house/floors well and we have to have carpet because the hardwood isn't pretty. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, that's a gross fact....but this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a huge fan of hardwood floors! Easier to clean & they are so gorgeous. Unfortunately the place we rent has nasty, harsh carpet that we can't do anything about. Of course I seriously doubt it has floors that beautiful underneath.

    Your attic room is so gorgeous with the hardwood floor! I think it gives it a more cozy feel. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, I hate carpet too, which is unfortunate because my house is full of it. Granted it's nice, new carpet but still. Anyone who has a pet should know why I dislike carpet.

    I think you did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my house is all hardwood, except kitchen/bath are linoleum. i also hate carpets... too dusty! at least with hardwood, you can see and clean ALL the yucky stuff. looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the funniest and cutest thing you could do for the husband! I used to love While You Were Out, and watched it any chance I got! I hope he loved it so much! I'll have to remember to check in tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow good for you! I dislike removing carpet but I bet tgrowing it out if the window would be fun- and I agree with you, carpet is yucky! I just looked at your room pictures- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your face in that picture is SO cute...it made me laugh! Featured you over on the blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this!! The hardwood floors are INCREDIBLE! you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this!! The hardwood floors are INCREDIBLE! you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is AWESOME!!! we have original hardwoods in our home too and i freaking love them! way to go girl, you took on a HUGE task!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yeah, I don't like carpet either...our next place will (hopefully) have NO carpet, not even in the bedrooms! (that's popular around here, nice wood/laminate floors everywhere except bedrooms and stairs) your floors look great, good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs