9/10/12

my new favorite room

 top: borrowed // pants: anthro // shoes: bcshoes
white jewelry box: painted box from Michaels // brown jewelry box: gift // print: Paris flea market
 quilt: handmade by my mother in law (!!) // pillows: handmade, France, Target // nightstand: hand-me-down // lamp: thrifted // frame + print: World Market

The entire time the husband was gone I was so tempted to text him, to drop hints at the massive renovation going on in our bedroom.

But the husband actually can't handle surprises and I knew as soon as I dropped that word, he'd be constantly calling, texting and bugging me for details.

Which is why when I picked him up a little after 1 a.m. (his flight was delayed) he had no idea at all.

Previously I had the idea to try and capture video of him seeing the room but at 2 a.m. when we stumbled into the house-- I was only thinking of my pillow.

So when the husband swung the door to our room open, I wasn't prepared.


"Whaaa?!" he said. He turned to me. "Erika!"


I just laughed. "Surprise!"


"You're crazy! Why did you do this without me?" he asked.


"I wanted to surprise you!" I told him. "Do you like it?"


"I really like it," he answered.


And he really does like it. He's told me several times and even as we sit here in bed-- him checking Twitter on his phone and me typing on the laptop -- he leaned over and told me that somehow the hardwood floors made the room more cozy.

I decided it's my new favorite room in the house. I do have a few more plans for it-- a rug and a new light fixture-- but nothing else too drastic.

but stay tuned for the next time the husband goes out of town...

xo, erika

p.s. the husband actually told me that he was halfway expecting some interior decoration-- he just didn't think it would be anything quite as extreme as removing carpet.



13 comments

  1. you are amazing! and the room looks really nice with the wooden plank floors. That is such a wonderful room make-over! You are so talented! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a GORGEOUS quilt and lovely room!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwww soo cute!! what a wonderful surprise it was!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! I'm so glad you pulled off the surprise :) and he loves it! love your quilt + decor too! cozy, is right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm terrible with surprises too so I can imagine how hard it was for you to keep this secret! Good job and I'm so glad he liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! I am so glad that your husband loves the room!! The hardwood floors are really very beautiful and I love the way you decorated the room, very cozy!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful room!! I'm so envious that you ripped up your carpets and have the hardwood floor now. I'm sure it was SUPER hard work but it really paid off! I very much dislike the carpet in our house... but sadly there are no hardwood floors underneath.

    -Meganmeganesass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it too and cannot believe you did this all alone! I woud have ended up dead from the rusty staples/nails :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love his response!! Such a cute husband you've got. :) The room is amazing! It's crazy how all the small details can really bring it together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw, what an awesome reaction! so glad he likes it. :) & the whole room is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so so cozy! This would be my favorite room too, if it was in my house!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs