9/24/12

football food: easy soft pretzels


I will be honest here.
I'm not the biggest football fan, or even sports fan in general, but the husband makes up for it. I joke that he's a fan enough for the both of us... and it's probably true.

However, it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a good American football feast, which is a great excuse for chips and dip, chili, and homemade soft pretzels.

As daunting as making pretzels sounds, it's really not that hard. But I promise you that if you make them, everyone will be impressed (and you don't need to tell them how easy they are.)

All you need is some pizza dough (I like the kind from Trader Joes or Whole Foods, but you can also make your own here, or use whatever brand you like. This time around, I made wholewheat dough in my bread machine.)

Grab whatever toppings you want-- salt is great, I've also done cinnamon and sugar, cheese, chili powder... you name it. get creative. :)



directions:
- roll out the dough flat, to about 1/4 in to 1/2 in thickness.
- using a knife or pastry wheel, cut the dough into 1/2 inch strips. (these don't have to be perfect-- you can make big and little pretzels.)
- roll and form each strip into a snake and stretch it out a bit.
- form into pretzel shapes (simply curve into a "u" shape and then cross the ends over each other.)
- sprinkle with seasalt, cinnamon-sugar, whatever other toppings you want
- bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes (you may want to see what baking time your dough recipe calls for and go with that.)

these are best warm from the oven, but will keep a few days in the fridge.

enjoy with cheese sauce, mustard or whatever you want!

xo, erika

6 comments

  1. Yum, I love a good soft pretzel and I'm with you on not being into football, but love a football feast ;) love the idea of making whole wheat dough in the bread machine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, yum! i love soft pretzels! definitely planning to make some soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make these as soon as possible. So easy and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs