9/12/12

why i thrift and other stories.

 top, skirt, shoes: thrifted

The thrifting thing in general isn't a new thing. I've always enjoyed thrift shopping. As a child I remember going with my mom to thrift stores for toys and dress up clothes. Later on, furniture -- especially in college. But thrifting for clothes is a newer development, and lately a new obsession.

but why do I thrift-- I came up with a few reasons. (steps on soap box.)

1. Being different
My husband accuses me of this all the time. That sometimes I do things, just to be different. And I admit, a lot of times I don't want to be average, I don't want to be what you would expect. I don't want to fit the mold. Thrifting helps in that area. (except in Seattle where nearly everyone thrifts.)

2. Price
Thrifting is well, thrifty. I can find things for a fraction of a cost in a department store-- and it's good stuff! Like a J Crew sweater for under $10 or a peacoat for under $20.

3. Pride
With $15 I could go to Forever 21 and get the same thing as everyone else. With $15 I could go to Goodwill and get something that no one else has. And when someone asks me where I got my new skirt, I can proudly tell 'em it was scored at a thrift store. I'm not proud of this, but being able to boast that I scored something at a thrift shop is one of the (not as great)reasons I keep hitting up those racks.

4. Consumerism
I don't need new clothes. I mean, I really don't. But I like new clothes, I like new outfits but sometimes it doesn't feel right to just go pick up another cheap tee. If I'm going to get something new, at least it's not too wasteful. Lately I've been reading articles about the sheer waste of fashion consumerism. If you ever want to feel guilty about Target, I'd suggest giving it a read.

5. The challenge
This is another thing the husband tells me I do: I make things hard on myself. Sure, I could go search out a denim button-up from a "normal" shop, but I KNOW that I can find it thrifted! It takes me longer to find, but when I do snag that 1990s-era denim top for $3.99, it feels so good.

Of course, if you live in Seattle like I do, thrifting is not different or special or even unusual. There's a local rap artist that recently dedicated a song to thrifting and filmed the music video at a Seattle Goodwill. Just chalk up another reason why I thrift.


oh- if you don't like the F-word in your music, you may want to skip this video. A warning, you know, just in case. :)

"I wear your granddad's clothes. I look incredible."

xo, erika




6 comments

  1. Everyone of these is true for me too. I get genuine joy out of thrifting, and a little bit of a smug feeling too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Erika 100% ! I love scoring something that no one else has and paying almost nothing for it! I scored a Gap dress (that looks like it had never been worn!) for 3$. I was on cloud nine!! :) PS I lovelovelove your twirly skirt!! You look amazing, as always! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, help me out here- I want to enjoy thrifting, but the only store near me is a Value Village that tends to be more...ratty then I prefer.

    Where are the good thrift stores in Seattle? Which ones are better? (for instance, back in San Diego we had a Goodwill that got once-worn designer castoffs donated all the time, scored ball gowns for less than $20 there).

    Thanks! :)

    bethwade1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the thrift stores in my area were better I'd probably enjoy it more... unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin and I'm sure you can imagine the garbage I've found in the thrift stores around here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would thrift more if there were any decent thrift stores in my town. And our Goodwill? Not impressive, and overly priced. It makes me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are my exact reasons for thrifting as well. Thank goodness someone shares my joy of thrifting!

    www.eatblogpray.blogspot.com
    xo

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs