9/17/12

plain to polka-dotted tee (a diy)

 

 When your mother-in-law gives you a handful of white undershirts, what do you do with them?

I think she meant for me to pass them on to the husband, but I couldn't help but keep a few for myself for a few projects. I've been wanting a shirt with gold polka dots-- who knows why-- I just have had it in my head-- so instead of hunting one down in a store, I decided to make my own. If you have a crazy desire for a gold polka-dotted shirt too, I suggest you make one too.

 tee: diy // scarf: fundraiser market // skirt: H&M // bangle: thrifted // boots: ebay
all you need:
- white tee (a mens undershirt works great)
- gold fabric paint (I used this brand.)
- cardboard circle template (I use a circle punch to create mine.)
- foam brush

>> If you have a white men's tee, make it a little more fancy by hemming the neckline and the bottom hem. I also rolled up the sleeves twice and stitched them in place to shorten to them.

>> Place cardboard in between your shirts layers and stencil to your heart's content.
My only suggestion? Let your shirt dry at least 12 hours before painting the other side. :) And yes, the paint will bleed through the shirt, so the cardboard is key.

Yay! New shirt! Almost free! My favorite kind. :)

Also, this is just the beginning of the white tee makeovers. I have some other ideas on how to remake a few more.

xo, erika

p.s. thanks for the kind words on yesterday's post. Two of my dear friends moved away this weekend and I just really hate change and my friends being far away. I just think everyone should just live in my neighborhood.

8 comments

  1. awesome idea! I love diys! Shirt these days are so overpriced for their little design. This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! and you are SO cute! love your skirt and boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. super cute! I love how it turned out, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea! thanks for sharing! <3

    www.thebluecurtain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable!!! Great job.
    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. So cute. Running out to get a pack of white T's now.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs