7/25/12

three years

Hi there. It’s me again, the husband. I last spoke with y’all last year on this very date-- our second wedding anniversary.

Well, I’m back to write another blog post for our third anniversary. Yup. We made it to three years. I’m surprised she stuck around. Just jokes. Anyway, last year Erika asked me to write about our wedding day. A fairly broad, but straightforward request. I wrote a lot about heat, love and vomit. This year I was told to “write about whatever you want honey!” Okay, so the Huskies….just kidding.


I definitely don’t have as good of an idea of what I want to say in this space as I did a year ago. It’s easy to write about one event that happened in the past. It’s much harder to write about something that has happened, is happening currently, and will continue to happen until death do us part.

What I will say is this: Marriage is the hardest thing I have ever done. I can’t do whatever I want whenever I want (Beers with the bros on a Wednesday!!) I have to cook dinner on Mondays (and sometimes Wednesdays—tonight). I have to FOLD LAUNDRY (ick–normally I’d just shove things into drawers instead of making them into nice, neat little squares).



Marriage requires a sacrifice of myself that I could not comprehend when I said “I do” three years ago. However, I will also say this: Marriage is the most rewarding, amazing, superfantastically awesome thing I have ever done. I am blessed enough to be able to spend my entire life with an amazing girl and continue to get to know her and learn more and more about her every day. The individual things I have sacrificed by marrying Erika have been replaced by things that are so much better than I could have imagined. The deep conversations we have about God, relationships and our dreams are incredible. The supremely ridiculous conversations we have about corgis, farts, and my dreams (as in the things I dream at night – insanely weird) are just as rewarding in the laughter and happiness that comes from them.

Anyone that tells you that their marriage is “perfect” or that they aren’t having any issues at all with their spouse is a liar. There will always be issues, there will always be points of contention, and there will always be egos getting in the way of doing what’s best for a marriage. Working through these issues and relying on God for our strength in marriage is what keeps me (and Erika I’d think) going.


So, if you’re married, don’t get discouraged when things get tough. It’s easy to be married when everything is rainbows and sunshine. Working to compromise and learn to love each other through difficult and hard times is what makes a marriage last 60 years instead of 60 months. So, celebrate the good times and persevere through the bad. Any rely on one another to do both.

Ok, enough mushiness and stuff. There’s a baseball game on and it’s tied in the 8th. See y’all next year (or in my next outfit post -- I'll be sure to wear fancy shoes).

hey. it's erika. isn't my husband pretty great? I think so. happy three years!

10 comments

  1. Oh, please wear your fancy shoes! I know you have a few pairs of cool running shoes to choose from ;) Seriously, great post and I'm loving this tradition!
    Happy Anniversary, E + E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you guys are so cute! Happy anniversary! Maybe I should get my hubby to do a blog post on our anniversary.... Since we got married on February 29th, it would only be every 4 years!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog and I love it!
    I'm your newest follower - hope you can check me out too! : )

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post!! Happy Anniversary you two!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw what a sweet post, happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just too sweet. Such heartfelt words. You picked a good one, Erika! : )
    Congrats guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary to you two! So sweet of your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs