Lately I've been into all things jalepeno. Slicing them into salads and tacos and most recently, adding them to drinks.
Yeah, drinks. I know it sounds bizarre, but hear me out. This drink is sweet and refreshing but has just the slightest kick at the end-- even my friends who don't love spicy things liked this drink. It's really, really that good.
And if you do make it, it's a guaranteed conversation-starter.
"You put what in here?"
"Yes, yes I did."
4 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup agave nectar
10 limes (or 5 limes and one little weird lime juice thing)
3 diced jalepenos (remove the seeds and pulp! and wash your hands after you do this...)
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring the water, sugar and agave nectar to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the diced jalepenos and chopped cilantro. Let steep for three hours (put it in the fridge once the pot is cool enough to do so.)
- Strain the liquid, removing the jalepenos and cilantro.
- Squeeze lime juice into the mixture, reserving one lime to dice to add to the drink
- Add a splash of something stronger -- if you want--
- Serve over ice
*original recipe found here
p.s. like the chalk label on the pitcher? that's a removable chalkboard label from martha stewart's new line at staples. I would recommend going and checking it out except that you may be tempted to blow some major cash on cute labels and folders and organizational stuff. I say you just might be tempted, I mean, it's not like I know anyone who did that...