1/5/12

diy doily banner

what do you do when your mom hands you a bag of vintage doilies?

I could not, would not get rid of them but sticking them on the back of my couch or under various items in my living room seemed a bit out of the question. Instead I made a darling doily banner on one rainy Sunday afternoon.


Gather your supplies, including your doilies. Mine were crocheted by my great-grandmother.
Other supplies needed:

  • scissors
  • sewing machine or needle and thread
  • ribbon
  • fabric glue and/or straight pins



cut the doilies in half. 



arrange the doilies and ribbon to how you like, cut the ribbon to length.



using fabric glue or pins, temporarily attach the ribbon to the tops of the doilies. It's okay if a little doily pokes out above the ribbon; you can trim that later.



Sew the ribbon onto the doilies and display your doily banner somewhere pretty!




I still have quite a few doilies left that I want to display somehow. Does anyone else have ideas?

xo, erika












10 comments

  1. Love, love, love it! I think it was a great choice to make a banner with the doilies :) I have two handmade doilies my Granny made in the 30s, wish I would have kept more of them when she offered! I'm still thinking of what you could do with the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea!!!! I think it turned out so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the lantern's or luminaries made from doilies? I have always wanted to try it...
    http://shannonsouth.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/upcycled-doily-lamp/
    OR
    http://homemade.tipjunkie.com/doily-luminaries-tutorial/
    Let me know if you try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love it! We used to make bowls out of them as kids with a mod lodge type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so lovely! i have none laying around. any tips where to buy for cheap? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brillant! :) SUCH a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fun - this is so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable! there is a really cute table runner made from doilies floating around on pinterest that I am determined to recreate at some point in life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about starching them and hanging as 'snowflakes' in your window around Christmastime?

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs