1/12/12

confessions of a book nerd


I would huddle under the covers with a flashlight, a book clutched in my hands and read until the wee hours of the morning.

I was 12 years old and I would never admit to anyone how much I loved to read.

And I would never admit how fast I read. When we had to read something in class, I read it three or four times before I looked up and acted like I was done.

Through high school, when others complained about the books they read, I complained along with them even though I secretly relished the literature we were assigned.

When Facebook began, I was in college and I dared to not list "reading" under my favorite activities... even though it was.

But now, I'm owning it. I love to read. I devour books the way some people devour dessert. I'll stay up until 3 a.m. if the book is good enough. I joined Good Reads and spent over an hour rating my favorite books.

I am that person. I am a book nerd.

But what I love is realizing that so much of the blog community are book nerds too. You guys are my people. You tweet about books you've read, you blog about the books you love. I have found my people.

And fellow book nerds-- I have some suggestions for you to read, but I'd love for you to tell me what you love to read... and if you're on Goodreads, find me there too.

happy friday. I am so thankful this week is over. It was rough but I am so thankful for prayers being answered.

xo, erika

you all should read: Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand, Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall, Half-Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, Bossypants by Tina Fey, Moloka'i by Alan Brennert... I could go on...

11 comments

  1. I'm so much the same way. And it appears we have similar book taste:

    http://oliveobserver.blogspot.com/p/what-im-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeee! I love this post. ^_^ When I was a little girl, I'd also huddle under blankets with a flashlight. I'd read all night and into the morning. Especially Archie comics, but I read stories as well!

    Still do!

    I also read very fast... Except I have always been proud of that. >:D I'd kind of read so fast and than just drum my fingers on the table. #showoff

    I'm a proud gamer, geek and nerd girl in one - I've never hidden that part of myself, but I know people who have. So I am really proud you've accepted yourself!

    I'll tots join you on GoodReads, I need to get back on there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading is a great past time. I am not the most avid reader, but I enjoy it.

    http://www.thegirlieblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love to read too! my husband and i collect books. which is probably not the best thing since our tiny apartment is running out of room to hold all of them. i'm currently reading the hunchback of notre dame. because it's pretty lame that i didn't find the time to read it in the first 24 years of my life. i had a hard time starting it because i read the back cover, which said the story ends in tragedy. not much motivation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heck yes!!!!
    I did the same thing in school!!
    I can read a book in a day and I always get so sad hat I finished it so quickly that I have to re-read it. I am actually in the process of rereading two books right now. ((One I started back in November or December))O just haven't had a ch-ance to read anything lately. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!

    Laura Hillenbrand is amazing!

    Have you heard/read about her back story?
    She is incredibly inspiring. I'm not nearly as ill as she is, but I have one of the same syndromes that she lives with. (CFS) She is inspiring as a writer and even more inspiring when you read more about her life and endurance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I have always LOVED to read (my parents hated the fact that my grandparents got me an Itty Bitty Book Light because it kept me up reading all night) I've never liked assigned reading. The minute someone assigns it I don't want to read. Weird huh?

    P.S. I'm giving away a wish bracelet today courtesy of Vivien Frank. Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bossypants was so good that I couldn't put it down - if I didn't have to work, I would have read it in like six hours. I think we're exactly the same person: I did every single one of those things when I was younger! I have joined Goodreads but I haven't actually spent time rating or filling anything out. I should get on that. I should also read MORE - I miss it!

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful quality. I wish I could get lost in a book more often. I have to PUSH myself. Have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel bad for your 12-year-old self! I've always loved to read, but luckily had friends who ALSO loved to read. I just love getting lost in a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found you (and this post) via the swag swap :) This rings so true for me, too - so nice to find kindred spirits in the blogosphere!

    Really looking forward to following your blog and reading more. And I'll go find you on Goodreads, too!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs