12/15/11

a Christmas carol

In college, I had a roommate who changed her ringtone to Frosty the Snowman the day after Halloween.

It drove me a little bit nuts because sometimes Christmas music is cheesy and grating. It's repetitive and if you've ever worked retail during the holidays you know what I mean.

So for years I resisted the Christmas mixes on Pandora, the all Christmas music radio stations and  the Starbucks Christmas cds available for purchase along with your latte.

But I've found myself slipping with a few beautiful songs that are so perfect for Christmas but so different from Frosty the Snowman. I could almost listen to them all year round.

Grab a mug of hot chocolate or a cup of coffee and enjoy some of my favorites.

 
This song is a bittersweet reminder of the darkness that so many face in the midst of winter.

this song gives me chills

 
love Rachel Yamagata's voice here

She & Him Christmas = perfection

What are your favorite Christmas songs? Do you like the old cheesy standbys or the newer stuff?
xo, erika

9 comments

  1. Thanks girl...we have our Holiday party at work today so I'm listening to your play list as I start my work day (and paint my nails red at my desk...shh no one is here yet, ha) and I'm LOVING your picks! I seriously can't say which one is my fave because I adore them all! Happy Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these pics!! SO funny about your roommate :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discovered your blog today and loving it! I also love that She and Him song :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Christmas music. My favorite Christmas CDs this year are She & Him and Michael Buble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them all!
    Can't get enough of it.
    Good thing Dan likes it too!
    When he gets home from work we sing silent night (our rap version) to Ryan.....we are special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through Lee La La - I lllllove that Sarah B song. Love it.

    Cute blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought you might like my machinima version of
    A Christmas Carol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9SBebs3A5I
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. SHE & HIM CHRISTMAS <3 as if Zooey could get any better, she SINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. also, you inspired me to do my own post about Christmas songs :) it's here if ya wanna check it out: http://simplysarahanne.blogspot.com/2011/12/crank-up-christmas-tunes.html
    gave you credit and everything friend!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs