5/19/13

recipe: easy-peasy polenta



like always, the husband and I are going in a million different directions, and rarely with each other.

I don't always cook, but I usually try to have some meals planned out and ask the husband to make one or two of them during the week (he gets home from work before me.)

The kind of meals we like are: a) healthy b) fast and easy. (well, let's be honest. The husband doesn't really care how healthy they are.)

I am always on a kick to try something new, so I was excited when I discovered polenta. It's easy, it's different and if you cook it right, it's sort of healthy.


You can buy polenta premade but if you have 20 minutes to spare, you can make it from scratch for pennies.



Polenta with tomato sauce and italian sausage
polenta:
1 cup water
2 cups broth
3/4 cup polenta

Bring liquid to a boil, slowly stir in polenta and reduce heat, constantly stirring until thickened (10 to 15 minutes)

Pour onto bowls or plates and let cool.  (alternatively, you can pour it into a pan, and let chill until it becomes solid, and then fry it or bake it to make polenta squares.)
 
sauce + veggies + meat:
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 ground italian sausage (I use ground chicken sausage)
1 minced garlic
veggies-- you can use anything-- I toss in red bell pepper and zucchini, but you could also add
olives, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc
- 1 jar low sodium tomato sauce
- optional: freshly grated parm-reggiano cheese, torn fresh basil leaves


Sautee onions until translucent over medium heat in a large frypan
Add garlic, saute for a minute
Stir in italian sausage, breaking up with a spatula and cook until no longer pink
Stir in chopped veggies and sauce, stir until cooked through.


Pour over polenta and serve with grated cheese and torn basil on top and a side salad.



have a glorious start to your week!


xo, erika

7 comments

  1. This looks delicious! I've wanted to try making polenta for a while, but was kind of intimidated. Now there's no reason not to! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE polenta so much! I find it so comforting and warming to eat. My boyfriend hates it though! Such a shame! I always manage to make it unhealthy by adding a ton of parmesan, ooops! ;)

    www.ciderwithrosiebee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks super yummy, I've never considered making polenta at home before! We're always looking for quick, easy, healthy recipes, too, so I'll definitely be checking back! :-)

    Sarah @ Life As Always

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! I love polenta and it is so easy to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so along with personal shopper, can you also be my personal chef too? I'll pay you in cards. ;] xo JA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made polenta in years - this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs