5/29/13

just read, reading and reading next





It's no secret that I love to read.

My long commute to work-- 30 minutes to go 7 miles, arghh-- makes good time for reading and I've already devoured a few books this spring.

 

>> Fall of Giants by Ken Follet // I loved the Pillars of the Earth series by this author and this is his other series. It's about World War I and was a little too historical for me at points, but overall enjoyable. 

>> Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg // I read this for work and honestly found it fascinating. There's a lot out there against Sandberg's book as well as arguments for it. While I don't think I would ever want her life, there's a lot of truth in how women conduct themselves (either in corporate America or anywhere): apologizing too often, not asking for help or delegating, not trusting or helping other women (the mommy wars) and thinking less of their capabilities. It's these things that I'll take from her book-- not necessarily her lifestyle. (read this interview with her in Time to get an idea)

>> A Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp // I was prepared to love this book because I expected it to be in the same vein as Shauna Niequist (who I adore). I'm not sure how I feel about it; I don't love Voscamp's wordy descriptions and I have yet to be bowled over by her statements... but I'm giving it time. (I'm only a few chapters in.)


>> Business Brilliant by Lewis Schiff // Look Mom, I'm reading it! My mother bought this for me and I'm reading it and preparing to be a brilliant business-lady. Well, I'm not sure about that, but it's interesting so far. 

>> Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple // Another one from Mom, who implores me to read it because it's poignant and hilarious. I'm not so sure as I heard it really disses Seattle... and I have a hard time with anyone but me making fun of my seriously over-priced, traffic-ridden, pretentious city. ;) But anyway, I'm sure it will be a fun read. 

What are you reading lately? 

xo, erika





9 comments

  1. I've got Lean In on my ever growing "to read" list. I'm sure it would be helpful as a working woman in the US. I can't wait to read a non-pregnancy or parenting book again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you on One Thousand Gifts. I was expecting to totally love it. Love the concept, but for some reason had some issues getting through it. I think it is because, like you, I can't get enough of the way that Shauna Niequist writes, and thought it would flow in that same conversational tone.

    I'm currently reading Freefall to Fly by Rebekah Lyons and am loving it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I had the opposite feeling about One Thousand Gifts. I couldn't get enough. I'm hoping you'll stay open minded and keep on with it--hopefully it gets better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Where'd you go Bernadette and I really enjoyed it. I'll be curious what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been needing some book recommendations. Lean In sounds fascinating! I'll be sitting around nursing in the middle of the night and I need a book or something to keep me company:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of all things to pick up from this list, I'm mostly excited about the 30 minute commute. I'm about to relocate from Phoenix to Seattle in a week (AH!), and if I use public transportation to and from work (roughly 7.5 miles), my commute is 2 hours (3 on Saturday) each way.
    Hope that makes you feel a little bit better about 30 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i liked 1000 gifts okay enough. good points but sometimes very interestingly put... love the idea of living in thankfulness though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a lot. . .34 books read this year so far.
    I read 1000 Gifts last year but wasn't too into it other than the beginning half, perhaps. It was lovely though. I gave it maybe 3 out of 5 stars.
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A Thousand Gifts" drove me bonkers. You need to read "A Beautiful Offering" by Angela Thomas! Best.book.ever. Lifechanging!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs