5/6/13

faith and ink


 
 
 top: thrifted // necklace: gift // shorts: Gap // shoes: Keds

If you follow me on instagram, you may have noticed that I did something slightly major this weekend.


I got a tattoo.


I didn't tell a lot of people it was happening-- besides a quick chat with one of my brothers and a text to a friend -- the husband was the only one who knew when I made the appointment and he was there when I turned my wrist over to Alexis, the tattoo artist and her buzzing needle.



After ten minutes-- really it took that long-- maybe less, I emerged with two simple words on my arm: "by grace" in my own handwriting.



I've wanted a tattoo for awhile because I wanted a declaration of my faith-- a bold mark on my wrist that reminded me and told others what is in my life.

"By grace" is from Ephesians 2:8, a Bible verse that says "For it is by grace you are saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God."
Anything good in me, anything good in my life, I believe is from God -- an act of His grace, a pure gift without a hidden motivation. I believe I can't do anything to earn His love or lose His love. And in faith I trust that grace.

In turn, I want to live a life marked by grace, where I receive grace from God and can turn around and freely give grace to others.

Often, I know I'm too quick to judge others but this is my reminder that I have no right;  I'm just as guilty of many things, perhaps worse things. And so I lean on grace-- grace for me, grace for others.

xo, erika





15 comments

  1. Where did you get your adorable shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Erika! I think it's a great reminder of your faith and I love that it's on your own handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely and it looks beautiful. congratulations!
    kw ladies in navy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your outfit + your tattoo!! The font + placement is perfect!! I can't wait to one day get a tattoo too!! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Loving your ink and what it means to you, it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) You look adorable
    2) Love those shorts
    3) Your tat...so awesome. I love why you chose it too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that tattoo! I constantly go back and forth about getting something in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your new tattoo and you are so brave! It's awesome that you have a special reminder of something so important that you will have always. :)

    Cute shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the outfit. Your shorts are too cute :)

    I'd love it if you can drop by mine and check out my latest post: www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful. My husband has scriptures on his wrists too. Yey!
    +Victoria+

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you took photos during the process!! You look like it "ain't no thang" which makes me feel like I should be able to do it myself. I have for so long wanted a tattoo but never made the commitment to pick a place, pick an artist, and just DO IT. Song lyrics in my hand writing have always been one of the options I've considered. I have a few. Maybe that is also part of the problem....deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh how exciting! I love the words you chose! And the simplicity of it. This makes me braver to get my first tattoo this summer. I am planning on getting a small one of Michigan since I will be leaving her behind shortly. Was thinking of that same area or a little bit further up on my forearm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE it! This has always been a somehwhat secret desire of mine. I told Ben that if I still want one by the time I'm 30 then I'm getting it. You are too cute girl! Your tattoo turned out so amazing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs