1/22/13

wear what you want


top: Banana Republic outlet // skirt: thrifted // tights: Nordstrom Rack // booties: Wanted shoes last year

If I had a blog in junior high, I am sure it would be full of angst and all that junior high stuff, but I think it would also be pretty unoriginal.

As a young teenager -- 13, 14, 15 -- I was more concerned with fitting in than nearly anything else. I hated going back to school shopping before school started because I was afraid I would buy things that no one else had. (heaven forbid!) I preferred to do a little bit of shopping, then scope out the trends the first day or two (and my trends, I mean what my classmate were wearing in my suburban junior high) and then convince my mother to head back to mall. (Thank you Mom for putting up with that.)
 
I was completely brand conscious. I had to have a sparkly hisbiscus shirt from Roxy. And I had to have jeans from Mudd (remember those?). If I posted outfits on a blog back then-- guaranteed it would look nearly identical to the outfits posted by the classmates I so envied.

I'm not sure when I decided that I was going to dress for myself. And I'm not sure when I really began to own it. Yes, I do care what others think, it's something I constantly struggle with, but for the most part, I dress for me-- what makes me feel good. And that includes pairing thrifted, pleated maroon skirts with a plaid button-up. I'm not sure what my 13-year-old self would say to me if she saw this look, but I know would I would tell her: don't get so caught up in it all. Wear (and be) what you want.


xo, erika

p.s. linking up to the pleated poppy and style elixir


8 comments

  1. Hi Erika! I love this top - it would be so versatile... love how you've styled it with the skirt! You're little puppy is super cute too :)

    Thanks so much for linking up this week, it's so lovely to have you as part of Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I loved my Roxy/Quicksilver tops!! (I was a little beach bum when I was in 8th/9th grade!)
    You look so comfy in this outfit!! I love that skirt paired with this top!! I think if I was in high school right now with you I think I would find inspiration form this outfit!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute post, girl! :) i especially am loving that burgundy skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool combo :)

    she was never before more independent Beauty Blog by she.is.the.one

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember in junior high I had this shirt that I LOVED. It was comfy and pretty and I felt great in it.

    Till a boy in my social studies class made fun of it. And I never wore it again.

    These days, I wear what I want. In my small little town I sometimes get looks for what I have on but whatev. At least I feel good and that's all that matters, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness we didn't have blogs in jr high! I can relate to you! We had no style of our own, just copied what others wore! I love this aspect of the what I wore link ups in that it just gives us more ideas of how to make things our own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is cute! Love the outfit!

    I was always conscious of what my friends had too but my friends didn't even like me! They never invited me to hangout but would talk to me in school, it was weird. I do remember being so mad one time that I slyly figured out where they all got this one hoodie and a glitter necklace that said angel. After I found out I convinced my gramma to go by it for me then showed up and matched them the next day at school! I dunno what that proved but thinking back on it now I should have been so embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was the same in jr high. So caught up in what was cool. I remember I just had to have a shirt with the Calvin Klein logo on it, haha. I never did feel myself wearing what I did though. It wasn't until high school when I started finding my own style. Love that skirt, such a pretty color - great find!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs