1/7/13

diy microwave popcorn 3 ways


I love learning new things. The latest thing I learned? You can make popcorn in the microwave with kernals and a paper bag. It's easy, cheap and a bit healthier than even the lowest fat buttered popcorn.

you need...
1/3 cup popcorn kernals
paper lunch sack
microwave

pour the kernals into a paper lunch sack (sometimes I just make a 1/4 cup, sometimes a 1/2 cup) and fold over the top several times.
place the bag inside the microwave so that the bag is standing up.
microwave until the popping begins to slow. (this is about 2 1/2 minutes in my microwave.)

you can add salt and a little oil before you cook the kernals, but you can also cook the kernals without anything.

or try a few fun flavors...


Add a few shakes of sea salt, cumin and Johnny's Seasoning for a salty popcorn. (note: you can add the spices before you cook.)


Add a handful of dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries. A dash of cinnamon is good here too. 


Squirt the popcorn with half a lime and sprinkle with crushed red pepper and chili powder. Garnish with remaining lime wedges.

I'm sure there are about a million other combinations out there; these are just a few of my favorites!

xo, erika

5 comments

  1. Soooooo cool! Popcorn is a BIG thing in our family so I will have to try this!!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love popcorn! I like to add parmesan and/or garlic salt for a special treat. But I'll have to try your spicy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying different topics with my air popped popcorn. I love spicy popcorn, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep forgetting that you can make popcorn in the microwave! If I could eat it for dinner every night, I would. I usually make it on the stove, coating it with butter that I mix with a few drops of truffle oil and I sprinkle on LOTS of Parmesan cheese! Since I was a little girl I've always eaten it the spicy way with lots of lemon or lime juice. Never fails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, these all sound so good!!! Especially the last one. I love experimenting with popcorn. I recently tried one that's coated in white chocolate. SO good!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs