1/6/13

i love/hate to exercise

I have never been super athletic.

Throw a ball at me and I'll probably duck. Kick a ball at me and I may fall on my face trying to return it.

I've always worked out but it was an occasional thing: a run every other weekend, a gym class here, whatever I would remember to fit in.

My husband, on the other hand, is really athletic. After playing soccer through high school he took up running in college. He qualified for the Boston Marathon running his first marathon. He runs miles around a 6:45 pace**. He works as the shoe buyer at one of the best running stores in the country. I don't say this to boast, (OK, maybe a little), but to let you understand the difference between us.

For the longest time I would never let the husband see me workout -- or heaven forbid! -- run. I was nervous about what he thought, what his runner friends thought about me.

But he always just told me that it didn't matter if I worked out or not-- just as long as I felt good.

Our first year into marriage I was working nights and really struggling with life in general. One day, after crying to him about various things, he suggested that I go for a run, or try working out... just a little bit... each day.

I scoffed at him, but secretly I started doing it. I started running, I joined a gym and I discovered that I love to exercise.

I love the adrenaline after I work out-- the energy and rush.
I love sleeping better at night.
I love the sweat and the hot shower after.
I love the time to think, to pray, to let my mind go blank
I love the accomplishment I feel when I'm a little bit sore the next day.

But as much as I've discovered that I love to exercise, I also hate it.


I hate getting up earlier, or taking time out of my day when I could be doing something else.
I hate the first five minutes when I run-- the tightness in my chest and my leaden feet.
I hate running hills and the fact that you can't run anywhere in Seattle without encountering one.
I hate how much effort it takes some days.

But I keep doing it. Finally get it and I've gotten to the point where I need it in my life.
Granted I don't ever run over 4 miles (one time I ran 8 miles but it was because I got lost in my husband's hometown-- long story,) and I rarely put more than a half hour's worth of time into it. But I'm still doing it several times a week.

And over Christmas, I even went for a run with the husband. Granted, it was after he ran 9 miles by himself... but still, I let him see me run.

I'm not saying this to make you feel guilty, or pressured or really anything at all. Just my love/hate story. :)

xo, erika

p.s. I would like to add that the 6:45 pace is his training run pace, not his racing pace. Don't worry, I can't run that fast.

12 comments

  1. i hate exercising! i wish i loved it though cuz i need to get in shape!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to look at the positives you noted and focus on those as I try to work out this year. Yes I will sleep better, Yes I will have more energy, Yes it is good for me. I can't run simply can't between my bum knees, shin splints and a bum ankle (yeah I'm a gem) but I LOVE to dance and need to start doing that more, and by more I mean constantly with my little 2 year old companion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same. Love/Hate relationship all the way.

    Once I get to the gym, I'm pretty much fine. But for some reason the dread of going there is the worst ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great little story...and funny too. I hate running. Gotta get back at it tomorrow and your post inspired me! :) Thanks Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I l-o-v-e walking, speed walking, biking, hiking and swimming. I could do them every single day. Running and traditional exercises like push-up's, sit-up's, hell even jumping jacks... I'm definitely not as good at.

    I really wanna get into doing more of them, along with yoga, this year!!!

    I loved your story about running, since it's such a struggle for me. I keep hearing most people struggle with running at first, but than love it, so hopefully the same will be for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It happens to me every day. At first it's hard, just keep it going! Finally you get used to :) I just love how it feels at end and how good you can sleep later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, I have the same push/pull. Right now I am hating it, because I have let myself go and get out of shape, so I am trying to get back into making it a habit and I am sore as all hell. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sincerely hate exercising. A lot. I do love rollerblading but with it being snowy 7 or so months out of the year here it's hard to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate the large chunk of time I have to take to exercise. I feel like I have to do so many things - work from 8 to 5, clean the house, make dinner, walk my dogs, do blog stuff - and to try and take like an hour and a half to work out gets SO HARD. But it's worth it

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so with you! I love the feeling of accomplishment and confidence after working out.

    But if I don't work out first thing in the morning and get it out of the way before starting my day, the day is filled with dread until the exercising is over. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i feel the SAME way about working out...i hate it, but i love it. i have really fallen off the wagon lately and want to get back on board with working out. thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wife felt the same way like you did, but with my persistence, we’re now going to the gym together. I don’t know what made her feel awkward about the idea of us both staying fit. Anyway, exercising has kept us in good shape, but what’s more important is that it has caused our relationship to grow stronger.

    -Nicolas Ervin

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs