1/10/13

rest


I was originally planning to just take a few weeks break from the shop. I'd just put it in "vacation mode" over Christmas and launch it right back up the 26th.

I even had this crazy idea of creating New Years Eve clutches that would be ready to ship.


I mentioned this grand plan to a friend, and she jokingly said "You are a glutton for punishment."


She meant it as a joke but it stopped me in my tracks.


I was driving myself into the ground and I needed a break.


So I left my shop in vacation mode.


I deleted the post on Facebook promoting the New Years clutches.


And I shut the door to the room where I sew.


Instead, I've been reading a lot of books. I've been going to bed on time. And I've been resting. My house is even decently clean.


I've also been thinking a lot about my shop. I still want to do it -- don't get me wrong -- but I want to do it in a way that keeps my life healthy.

Sewing orders as they came in became a bit insane. I could do it, but it meant that I was sacrificing a whole lot. I don't even feel like I enjoyed the Christmas season because I was so busy. I don't want to do that again.


Right now I'm preparing my shop to reopen but I'm doing things differently.


>> I'm planning. No more last minute runs to the fabric store. I'm ordering and organizing.


>> I'm sewing. I am going to make items, list them, and when they're gone, they're gone. Unless enough of you can convince me to make another batch. ;)


>> I'm giving myself grace. I work a full-time job that I actually like. I'm married. My dog requires two walks a day. Heck, I'm planning a trip to Europe. Things are going to be chill for the next month or so and that's TOTALLY fine.


So that's where I am right now. The shop will open soon enough but until then, I'm taking it a bit easy.


happy friday.


xo, erika

9 comments

  1. Hi.
    I know we don't really know each other and I don't really know your story (because I'm a new reader) but I wanted to say - I'm so proud of you. This sounds like a GREAT decision!

    xoxo
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful and I think so many people need to do this, but it's so hard to turn off the things we think are so important in order to do the things that really are important. Congrats on giving yourself some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have definitely felt like this before, except in my case, with my blog. Sometimes resting and taking a break is just what you need. I love your shop, your products, but what's even more important is YOU and your health and happiness. Take all the time you need, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm grinning ear to ear because I'm so proud of you and happy you're resting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a wonderful idea to REST when you know you need it. Always take a moment to take a step back and ask yourself, am I enjoying myself? I work so hard to make sure I don't ever resent what I love to do, and if that means taking an extended break so balance with other activities, so be it! Glad you are taking a break, you must have been exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!! As women, it's always been something we fall into- taking on more than we can handle and multitasking because we think we can. Enjoy taking it easy, but keep your dream alive! I love everything you make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your products are so beautifully made and I know your customers appreciate the work that goes into them- but your health and happiness, and your family are definitely more important! Praying this is a positive change in your life as you embrace rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady, you need to do what's right for YOU. It is your life after all. We'll support you no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! good for you. enjoy your time of purposeful rest and fruitful planning!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs