1/30/13

gluten-free salted caramel brownies


My mother-in-law is a spectacular cook. Spectacular. And she loves to bake and cook loads of goodies every time the husband and I trek down to visit his parents.
However, many of the things she bakes, she can't eat because she has celiac disease. She's been diagnosed for over 10 years and it's just now getting to the point where it's easier to find find gluten-free recipes and foods. I recently have attempted baking for her-- a way to return the favor-- and recently whipped up a batch of these brownies.

I really wish that gluten-free automatically meant healthier but unfortunately, in baked goods, that's kind of a misconception. Some gluten-free recipes actually have more unhealthy things in them to make up for the lack of gluten. So yeah, these brownies? Not good for you. Sorry 'bout that. (But you should totally eat 'em anyway.)

ingredients:  (recipe altered from here)
8 tbs unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I use Bob's Red Mill brand.)
1/3 cup caramel sauce (try to find a brand that doesn't have high-fructose corn syrup in it)
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with foil & spray liberally with cooking spray
- Melt butter and add to mixing bowl. Stir in cocoa powder, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mix and stir until just combined.
- Pour half of the mix into the baking pan. Carefully spread the caramel sauce evenly over the batter then add the last half of the batter over, trying to avoid mixing the two. (My trick: I microwaved the caramel and poured it over the batter and then after spreading it, I let it cool for a few minutes before I topped it with the remaining brownie batter.)
- Bake for 25 minutes. Immediately after removing the brownies from the oven, sprinkle with the coarse sea salt.





Don't want to make them gluten-free? Just make brownies from a box and just add caramel and top with sea salt. Delicious. You'll eat nearly the whole pan in one night.


xo, erika

4 comments

  1. Yum! Brownies with salted caramel is a great suggestion :) one of my best friends eats gluten free so I will pass this recipe on to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please! I've never tried a gluten-free flour mix (but I often bake with almond flour and coconut flour), curious to know what's in it. Pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look plenty "good" for me. ;) totally making them tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious, really tasty. I will have to give them a go at the weekend! I made some super healthy gluten free brownies and they turned out really tasty. Here is the link to the recipe http://bit.ly/12Zks7Y :)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs