1/21/13

recipe: baked grapefruit


First of all I love grapefruit. I love the scent*, the taste and even the intricacy of removing those little juicy wedges from the peel.

Not everyone has the same sort of affection toward grapefruit that I do, which is why a lot of people bake their grapefruits.

Baking citrus fruits kind of goes against everything I'm used to, but I'll try nearly any food once, so this past weekend I baked a grapefruit half.

Verdict? Delicious. And you, even if you don't like grapefruit, should try it this way.


needed:
1 grapefruit
2-3 tsp of honey (or more depending on how sweet you like things)
cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

preheat the oven to 375 degrees
cut a grapefruit in half and using a knife, cut along the edges of the peel and next to each section.
put the honey in the center of the grapefruit, adding more for a sweeter taste.
sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the wedges.
bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.


enjoy!

xo, erika

* i actually wear a grapefruit-based perfume. It's called pamplemousse and it's sold by a local seattle shop on etsy.

7 comments

  1. I love grapefruit too! and a baked one is delicious! My mom used to put brown sugar on top and broil it. It was such a fun winter breakfast treat (or so I thought). The mister doesn't care for them at all and citrus generally makes me break out, but it would be a good splurge to get me through the winter months and take me back to my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love grapefruit but have never tried this! I will definitely make one...looks delicious! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this. I am not a huge grapefruit fan but I have heard that baked grapefruit is like a whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me some grapefruit and I haven't gotten around to preparing it this way. I love the fruit so much that I bought it's essential oil that maybe I can make a diy lip scrub with? Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a big grapefruit fan but this sounds like something I'd love. I'll have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try the grapefruit with cardamom, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs