1/16/13

recipe: hot toddy


You know how in historical novels, like ones set in the 1800s, they always offer whiskey to people who don't feel well?

Ok, maybe you don't read as much historical fiction than I do but I always wondered what was up with giving hard alcohol to sick people.

You see, if I drink, I'm going to go for beer or wine. I really don't do cocktails. Except when I don't feel well.


I just recently started making myself hot toddies because those it turns out people in historical novels were onto something. This year has been the year of colds and sometimes when I'm super stuffed up and feeling crummy, a hot toddy really hits the spot. I don't know if it's the little bit of alcohol or all the spices in the hot tea, or a combination, but for whatever reason, it works.



you need:
hot tea (I love spiced black tea for this-- try Bigelow's Constant Comment)
lemon slices
3 - 4 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
honey to taste
optional: 1.5 fluid ounces whiskey, bourbon or dark rum (you could likely make this without the alcohol and it would still be delicious)

liberally coat the bottom of a mug with honey. add your tea bag and hot water, the juice from one lemon wedge, plus another one or two for garnish, and spices. let steep for 5 minutes. remove the tea bag and add your choice of alcohol. stir well.

sip (perhaps while reading a historic novel?)


xo, erika









7 comments

  1. YUM! this looks tasty and perfect for this season :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...yum!!! Great recipe. I love tea and with a splash of whiskey, it could be even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!! Thank you for this recipe!! I wasn't feeling so hot a week or so ago and I remember reading a book (or something) that they drank a mixed drink with whiskey in it to get them over a cold!
    I asked my folks and they just thought I was trying to come up with a reason to have a little alcohol that evening! ;)
    I'll have to remember this recipe!! Thanks Erika!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just recently had my very first hot toddy and quite enjoyed it. they are so comforting! will have to try at home now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even had or made one! But I have been drinking more tea lately. and I need to get some constant comment...I think I knew we shared a mutual love for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Many of our fans are looking forward to see pictures from excellent bloggers like you on world's 1st eyewear styling community plus.firmoo.com, could we have the honor to see you there?

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs