5/1/12

diy: rhubarb liqueur/vinegar

I've been wanting to make flavored alcohols and vinegars for awhile and when my mother-in-law gave me some rhubarb, I decided that it was time to experiment. 


ingredients
large glass jar or bottle
1/2 pound of rhubarb, coarsely chopped (3 - 4 large stalks)
6 tbs of water
1/4 cup water
3 cups vodka
optional: splash of orange schnaps or Grand Marnier



directions
- create a simple syrup by bringing water and sugar to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
once it boils, remove the syrup from the heat and cool.
- add chopped rhubarb, vodka, other alcohol and cooled syrup to jar.
close lid and keep liqueur at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks or until the color has left the rhubarb.
- drain and remove solids.
- enjoy!

If you don't want to make a liqueur, you could also replace the vodka with apple cider vinegar to make a vinegar dressing for salads, pastas or other dishes.

I can't wait to make more flavored drinks-- the next one on my list in lavender. :)

xo, erika

4 comments

  1. yum! I love rhubarb and this sounds like a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I want to try this with lemon. Lemon liqueur is so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I never would've thought about a rhubarb liqueur. But it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs