5/15/12

adjustment period


necklace: Nordstrom // shirt: thrifted  // jeans: F21 // heels: Macys 

Do you ever have a hard time adjusting to something that you never did but suddenly starting doing?

Like, when I turned 21 and I suddenly could order wine with dinner. It felt weird for awhile, like I was playing grown up. The same thing happened when the husband and I got married and moved in together. It was weird; suddenly I was a wife, I was a Mrs.  (Although nearly three years later I rarely answer to Mrs.)

On a less serious note, I feel like this happens with fashion. One day you're rocking flare jeans, and the next you're shimmying into your first pair of skinnies. And it feels weird for a little while until you adjust.

The other day I made a little fashion adjustment when I buttoned my collared shirt to the top button and layered my necklace over. This is something I've never, ever done and while I've liked the look on other people, I definitely second-guessed my reflection in the mirror before I left the house.

But after a little adjustment period, and giving myself a little pep talk in self-confidence, I decided I liked it.

xo, erika

p.s. The husband says the consensus is that he'll still wear his preferred "style" to work, but if we're going out specifically, he'll wear something else. ;)





21 comments

  1. haha! so, so true. i still have to remember not just that i'm married, or that i'm a mrs...but that i'm someone's wife! odd, right? you look extra cute! hope you'll do this look again : ) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those red flowers might need a little love! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the look on you, especially with that gorgeous colour of shirt! I've been married for almost 13 (!) years and someone called me 'Mrs.' yesterday, and I looked around to see who she was talking to. How about the notion of the old days when if a woman was married to a fellow called John Smith, she would be called Mrs. John Smith! Weird.

    Loulou

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the necklace over a collard shirt...i've never done it though! i was just thinking about how I kinda miss my flared jeans the other day...maybe i will wear them this week just 'cause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a super good post!! your a good writer!! (:
    and I adore your hair...

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed... I think it's hard sometimes to adjust to the notion that I'm "an adult." I still think of my peers and myself as "kids" (even though some are married/getting married) and try to decide "what I want to be when I grow up." It's a weird period, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes!!! I love this look (buttoned up top w/ a necklace layered over it) on others (you totally rock it Erika!!) but I just can't seem to make myself walk out of my room with this ensemble on. I don't know why!!
    PS I love your shoes + that little flower next to your feet in that blue pot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally know what you mean! Even if something is all over the blogosphere, people in my real life aren't really aware of "hot trends" and it makes me nervous to try new styles! But that layering looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOTALLY agree!! That happened to me the 1st time I put on my fuchsia jeans! Yikes!
    P.S. Love the look AND the necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree - with everything in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try that with my necklaces! I never do, but it looks good on you!
    www.glitterarygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I so agree about adjustments! I've been trying some new things that are so out of my comfort zone, and then they become my new comfort and I'm loving it. You look great (as always!). I'm loving the buttoned up necklace look on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes i LOVE layering necklaces OVER collared shirts!!! love this look girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your look! :) I also have a tough time with adjustments, but it's fun to mix things up.

    http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that look...I actually use to do that when I was younger and I don't know why I stopped.

    Your style is awesome! Just thought I would let you know! :)

    Happy Tuesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Skinny jeans have been a HUGE adjustment for me, but I'm quickly liking them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I struggle with this same thing. I love this look girl. You rock it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes. Motherhood - I'm still adjusting after two years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally know what you mean! When I first started wearing skinny jeans it felt so weird. And I felt like a complete "poser". But now I'm used to it. I think you look great in this style! And I'm totally jealous you found that shirt at the thrift store! I always look for nice pieces like that, but haven't had any luck. (Yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know exactly what you mean!! And I think you look totally cute ;)

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs