5/12/12

what i found on the side of the road

As any true DIY-er, blogger, and all-around thrifter cheap-o, I am not unfamiliar with side of the road treasures. Chairs, tables, and who knows what else can all be found abandoned on sidewalks and side streets... all fresh for the pickin'.

And my latest score was no small feat. It took two drive-bys, once with a group of friends who thought it was funny that I so desperately wanted to stop and a second trip, on my own, to successfully load the items in the back of my small Ford Focus. (Thank goodness for big trunks.)

The item I was so after? Pallets. Wood pallets.


 Here's the scene. Me, driving home from the fabric store, alone. Chatting on the phone with my mama when I squeal "The pallets are still there!"

Wheels screeching, I turn down a side street for a quick u-turn, almost hitting a few chickens. (true story-- there are free range chickens in Seattle.)

I stop by the pallets and load em into my trunk, avoiding the eyes of people driving by. Once the coast is clear, I allow myself a fist pump of success.


And while I was SO excited to grab them, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. This isn't a problem. There are a million of things to do with wood pallets... so the problem is more regarding how I will choose what to do with them.

Here's where you come in. What should I pick? Here are a few of my favorite options...

pallet garden via life on the balcony

pallet table via life by design


I also think it would make an awesome bench, or art, or something. The options are endless!

xo, erika
p.s. have you ever picked something up on the side of the road?

19 comments

  1. We always have pallets at work and they told me I was free to take any of them. I often get my husband to help load them into our truck!! :) I am sharing a pallet sign next week - LOVE them (especially when they are aged outdoors for a bit!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the bookshelves speak to my heart, that table is amazing. I vote for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous! i can't wait to see what you're doing with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! i picked up my first garbage and blogged about it here:
    http://fifteenevergreen.blogspot.com/2012/03/diy-wood-chair-revamp-awesome-garbage.html

    i luuuuureve finding stuff people have thrown away as useless and then transforming it into something useable! :)

    can't wait to see what you'll do with the pallets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a good friend who is doing a pallet herb garden this year...she used several pallets and some wooden supports and has build a 3d pallet cube filled with all kinds of goodies. so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of reclaimed wood, and HATE to be a debbie downer, but sometimes the wood is treated pretty heavily for pallets, some companies won't let employees touch them without gloves for fear of lawsuits.... just be careful, and I' m sure whatever you make will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of the bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the bookcase idea. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. you can also cut them down into maybe half or fourths and make LOVE signs or write whatever you want on them and display as art pieces. just a thought! I like the herb garden best!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad use to always break old pallets down to turn into boxes for planters. I love the idea of turning them into raised bedding areas myself, although I wouldn't say no to the idea of outside coffee table!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's awesome! can't wait to see what you do with them! i have been tempted several times to get some pallets that are at a business close to my home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the table and wall of plants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah thats a pretty awesome find!!! sooo awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have FREAKED out :) Great find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hehe there are pallets next door underneath stacks of bricks for a new home. Totally snatching them whenever they unload the bricks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We recently picked up a drafting table in our neighborhood. Jordan was soooooooo excited. I think I'm rubbing off on him. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such an awesome find! I don't think I've ever picked up anything from the side of the road. But that's only because I've never had the pleasure of finding something as awesome as those pallets! Haha! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have access to LOTS of pallets via my dad's work! I love these ideas - totally pinning!

    Royal Daughter Designs

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs