5/11/12

jar full of dreams

what's in your jar full of dreams?


I asked you last week to send me your big dreams (and little dreams) and I have some to share.

But it's always awkward to be the one to go first, so I'll start.

I'm Erika.

And I have a great day job. I truly am blessed. But a teeny part of me, maybe a bigger part of me, longs for a day when I can pursue this blog and my sewing full time (once upon a time I almost went to school for fashion design.) But what I would also really love is to write and publish a book. Truthfully this is something I've wanted to do since elementary school.

And right now, even though I have a different job, something I spend a lot of time at, I believe I'm slowly working toward my dreams.

here are some other beautiful dreams shared:

ashley wrote:
 "My Dream: I currently work as an interior designer but I love love baking. I dig into it the second I get home and think about it my whole lunch hour, I really want to find a way to make this a bigger part of my life: for now I keep thinking about at farmer's markets."

natalie wrote:
"I have a dream of editing novels for a living and someday opening my very own little book shop. How I'm going to achieve either of these, I have no clue--and I suppose knowing where to begin is what is holding me back. But, I keep those ever in my vision--always in the front of my brain with the hopes that *someday* I will get to see them come true."

krysten wrote:
"My dream is to be a published author. I guess the biggest thing holding me back is myself. I love to write and have so many ideas but I never feel like my writing is good enough. "

elise wrote:
"I have two dreams: 1) to dance ballet and teach. I was a dancer my entire life but quit 5 years ago, I just started again because I missed it so much. 2) I lost my job 3 weeks ago, simply because my boss didn't like me, now I am discouraged and I wish I could blog and start an etsy shop for my work but fear is holding me back from both things. I don't know where to start and I feel stuck."

kudos to these ladies for being so bold to share with us their dreams. I feel like in sharing stuff like this, it puts us on the path to making it real.

and speaking of dreams, here are some other crazy-inspiring posts about dreams:

and please, encourage the people who shared, and maybe share your own dreams, too.

happy weekend!

xo, erika

p.s. another one of my dreams: for this blog to be a place to chase dreams and help you feel encouraged! :)

10 comments

  1. Erika, if you ever need an editor for your book, you know who to call :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's really inspiring to do a post like this. We all have big dreams, maybe we can help encourage each other to try to achieve them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, you should definately go for it! I'm sure your friends would be honored to sample your goodies and give you feedback, bc feedback is good for business growth. Farmers Markets sounds like a great place to start too. I think people would love to see you out there, living your dream, and it would make them feel good about supporting your business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, I would encourage you to get involved with some local writers. You might have the opportunity to edit someone's work just for the experience - which would look good on the resume, give you an idea of what that might look like as a full time gig, and give you a network of people who want to see you succeed and who might be able to return the favor at some point in the future (perhaps by referring your services to their friends).

    A good place to start would be signing up for a writing class at the nearest community college. You'll meet lots of writers there, and hone your editing skills too.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krysten, I would highly encourage you to take a writing class at a local college. It will be a good excuse to write more. But not only that, you will get some really good feedback from other people in the class. You'll discover what people love about your writing, which is a great confidence builder. You'll also discover the areas where you need to practice and grow and get stronger. It's a never ending process, really, but the more you go through it the more you will grow as a writer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elise, I don't know much about dancing, but I know that the best teachers are the ones who passionately love what they teach. You have the potential to be one of the best, so go for it!

    As for blogging and starting an etsy shop, I would also say go for it. But...don't do it for the money, because that's a lot of pressure to put on yourself, and if you don't make money right away you might be tempted to just give up. Blog just for the joy of blogging, and if you make money too - awesome! Ditto for etsy.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, I admire how you are pursuing your dreams. You are blazing a trail for those of us who have been thinking about the pursuit but haven't stepped out yet (or haven't stepped out in a while).

    I guess my advice to you would be to keep sharing your dreams with people. Talk about the book you want to write. Talk about the things you are designing. People want to support you and see you succeed, and it's special to feel like you played a part in someone living their dream.

    Thanks for sharing on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going forward with my dream in a few months and I could not be more terrified. I'm graduating in two months with a degree in Marketing and have decided that once I graduate, I won't go to graduate school or pursue a traditional job.

    I'm going to blog and video blog from home... I never would have thought a few years ago that this would be my dream. I started following a lot of young YouTube beauty vloggers and watched their videos obsessively the first two years of college, I dreamed about having their lives. Then one day I realized I can't be bitter about not living as they do if I haven't even given it a shot myself, so I filmed my first video. It became a pretty huge hit with almost 100K views to this day. Now, all of my free time is spent making videos and posting on my blog rebeccakelsey.com. I've never been so happy or enjoyed something so much.

    So far I don't make enough to live off of, not by a long shot. I can barely cover my car payment with what I'm making online but I have an amazing fiance that believes in me and pushes me to follow my heart. He will be graduating soon with a degree in guidance counseling and will be working as an advisor in universities. The pay isn't amazing but it will be enough. I know I wouldn't be able to do this without him.

    I really hope you pursue your dreams Erika. It is the scariest thing I have ever done but I've never been happier. Hoping the best for you, I'll be reading your blog from now on.

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca
    rebeccakelsey.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS! :) I love talking dreams :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have dreams similar to yours Erika. I dream of one day being a stay at home mother while both pursuing my (future) Etsy shop and my blog. I know it seems like a lot to want a baby, a shop, and a blog, but for some reason I feel like I can do it. After all, why should we have to settle? All things are possible with the Lord's help!

    Have a great weekend! I hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs