10/2/13

just read, reading, to-read: vol 3

I used to sneakily stay up late as a kid to read. I would push myself down under the covers, and position a flashlight just so, right on my chest, so I could read without my parents seeing the flickering beam. I always had a hard time falling asleep as a child and curling up with a book was the one way I could fall asleep. 

Now I fall asleep instantly -- usually as soon as my head hits the pillow- - so I don't read in bed, but I still do read voraciously -- especially during my commute to and from work on the bus -- and if no one is around -- during dinner.

Here's a bit what of what I'm been reading recently:



just read: Wild by Cheryl Strayed // Oh man. This was a fascinating read. But I'm not gonna lie, there were moments in the book where I wanted to jump in and shake the main character.

Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman // Heart-breaking. This story of a lighthouse keeper and his wife and the decision they make (no spoilers) is dramatic but written in such a gorgeous way. Sometimes when I read books, I just get caught up in the story, but the author's writing-- nearly prose-- captured me in a way most books don't.
reading: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green // I was expecting this to be an utterly life-changing book. I think sometimes when we go into a book (or movie, or restaurant) with such high expectations, we are doomed to failure. Now, don't get me wrong-- I really am enjoying this book and am almost done -- but it isn't life-changing for me.
to read: The Silver Star  by Jeanette Walls // really enjoyed Jeanette Walls' other books-- The Glass Castle and Half-Broke Horses -- so I'm really looking forward to her first foray into fiction.

want to see what I've read in past months? May | August

what are you reading right now?

xo, erika

8 comments

  1. I read The Fault in Our Stars awhile back and loved it. I didn't expect it to be life changing so I wasn't disappointed. I did find it hilarious. Currently reading Screwtape letters by CS Lewis. You should link up for Twitterature over at Modern Nrs Darcy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All This Heavenly Glory by Elizabeth Crane. It's really hysterical and vulnerable at the same time. If you're in the mood for a book of stories that are seemingly unrelated, yet related at the same time, give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh!! Great list of book!!
    I just finished The Island of Dr Moreau (I actually have my to-read list of books on my blog today, if you'd like to take a peek!!) :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love your suggestions :) I'm in need of a great read! Might just go with one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Reading!

    I loved all of the books you are reading/read! Currently I am reading The Lady by Thomas Tryon.!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Light Between Oceans sounds really good!

    I used to have a nightlight in my bedroom and would curl up by it to read... I had insomnia as a kid so I read A LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read the Fault in our Stars, I was crying at the end. I think the reason was because I went in with low expectations, and then it just came out to be a good book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Fault in our Stars this summer and it was my first John Green book so I had semi-high expectations, but still liked it a lot (i.e. many, many tears through the last few chapters). I really want to read his other books since this one is supposedly not at the "same level" as his previous work. I just finished the Legend series by Marie Lu and highly recommend if anyone (read: since everyone) liked reading Hunger Games!!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs