10/16/13

let's be still




The world's just spinning
A little too fast
If things don't slow down soon we might not last
So just for the moment, let's be still
- Let's Be Still, Head and The Heart (listen here)

I am not a still person. I am probably the opposite, actually.

In fact, one of things that the husband and I argue over is when I "stomp" around the house right when I get home from work. He tells me it's wrong that I enter the house in such a whirlwind of activity. He tells me he feels guilty when he sits and I'm rushing around.

I tell him that it's just the way I am. I move fast. I don't sit. He doesn't need to feel guilty. I am just an antsy person. I can't help it, I tell him. My family teases me because the thing I say most is "real fast." As in, "I'll do that real fast."

But if I am honest with myself, I know these are just excuses for bad habits: My bad habits of rushing things and rushing people as well as my bad habits of half-thought-out ideas and distracted movements.

The real reason I run for exercise? I can't handle other exercise that's slow and deliberate. (I'm looking at you, Pilates.)

Another confession. I've never made risotto because the thought of standing at the stove and stirring for 40 minutes seems downright impossible.

So when I hear a song like "Let's Be Still," it's a challenge for me. It's a rallying cry for me to be quiet and be present. I had it on, background music in my headphones, and it felt like this push-- this motion for me to rest, to be still.

I want to learn to be still so I can be present in my moments, with what is in front of me. I want to be still in front of God. I want to be still with others.

Even if it is, just for a moment.

Are you a crazed rush of activity like me? Or are you better at carving out space to be still? If you are-- please teach me your ways.

xo, erika

p.s. if you are not familiar with the band "The Head and the Heart" you very much should be. Their music is excellent and I lived with one of the bandmembers in college.






10 comments

  1. What a reminder. I needed this. I am way too drawn to being busy and for why? I think I find purpose in doing. Like somehow I am worth a little bit more if I do more or rush more. I don't know, but I have to remind myself that it's ok to slow down. To not fill my life with busy crazy. It's so easy to confuse "more" with "godlier" or just.. "better" and yet beautiful doesn't always look like that. Sometimes just being is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time, I am VERY hyper! I do have my slow moments, though. Even they, however, are often spent multitasking. For instance, I have Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO installing a new patch, nine Chrome tabs open, and my Gmail, while wondering what to start cleaning next. Sometimes my slow moments involve tea and drawing, or blogging. Jen and I spend time, just cuddling and talking, which is my favorite activity of all. And often is filled with laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog Erika! I've been following for awhile and I totally identify with this post. I'm usually a go-getter and I always like to be on the move but I year ago I got really into yoga and that's my saving grace. Sometimes I just roll out my mat and home and there's something about just sitting there on the floor that mellows me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E and I have this discussion a lot. I am like your husband, whereas, E tends to be busy and can't sit still. Finding a balance is hard, because sometimes we need to be busy to be productive in our jobs and such! But finding that time to be still can be a godsend. Sometimes our minds need it just as much as our bodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really needed this today. I've been obsessing over wedding things and how much I need to do. But my body is pretty sore right now and I know I need a day to relax and recuperate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right there with you girl. My busy body starts at 6am and I don't stop until midnight. I was lucky enough to indulge in a homemade butternut squash risotto last week but I didn't make it, husband did because he knows I'm not stirring rice for 40 minutes either, and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PERFECTLY put! I find myself in the same situations as well, my husband always feels guilty when I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, but that's just the way I work!

    But the being "still" is always SUCH a great reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love Head and the Heart! Also love this post. Thank you for the sweet reminder to be still. and present. Needed this today.

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs