10/27/13

a hungarian feast

When I got my produce delivery box this week (I get it through a local service that sources a variety of local farms), there was an enormous cabbage in it. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it and was searching Pinterest for receipes until it dawned on me: Cabbage rolls.

One of my dearest friends is part Hungarian and makes the same cabbage rolls and goulash that her great-grandmother would make. Obviously, with a giant cabbage, it was an excuse to put together a Hungarian feast.

What made it even better is that my friend is currently house sitting in a gorgeous home that has an incredible kitchen-- we're taking a Viking range and two ovens. So obviously, the Hungarian feast prep had to happen over there, versus my tiny (yet functional and well-loved) kitchen.

 

Great-Grandma Kovacs' Cabbage Rolls
1 head of cabbage
2 tbs white vinegar
1 lb ground pork
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
3 tsp pepper
3 tsp paprika
1/2 cup white rice
6 oz of tomato sauce
1 can sauerkraut

Bring a large pot of water with 2 tbs of vinegar and a pinch of salt to boil
Rinse cabbage and cut out core.
Once water is boiling, drop cabbage in and cook for a minimum of a half hour, until leaves are soft. (could be up to 45 minutes)
In a large bowl, combine pork through white rice.
Take a leaf of cabbage, chop of the hard end, and place a spoonful of the pork mixture at the end.
Roll the leaf up, like a burrito, tucking in each side.

In a large pot, cover the bottom with the can of sauerkraut. If you have left over cabbage, put this in the bottom of the pot as well.
Place each cabbage roll carefully in the pot, folded over-side down.
Pour tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls.
Pout in water, just to cover the rolls.
Cook on medium to medium low for an hour.

enjoy!

xo, erika




4 comments

  1. Looks and sounds delicious!

    http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when Sam makes special appearances on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! I also get a weekly veg box and sometimes I have NO idea what to do with the stuff there. I should try a bit harder like you and really make something of the stuff I'm given.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom's ex-husband was Hungarian. He would make us goulash. I did not appreciate that enough! There have definitely been times when a warm, cozy pot of goulash sounds delish. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs