10/1/13

influence conference: a wrap-up

 (Shauna Niequist sharing!)
 (a slide from Hayley's - the tiny twig - talk)
(the fancy local dinner at Bluebeard)

You know when you get back from somewhere and someone asks you "how was it?"


And you feel like you can only stare blankly because you're not sure how to answer in them in a way that explains everything.

This past weekend I was at the Influence Conference.

I am going to try and explain everything. It may be scattered.

The conference was incredible and refreshing and wonderful to be around people who share my same brand of crazy -- people who see the online world as a place to connect, to build businesses and to share life.


To be honest before I went, I was feeling really, really burned out. Overwhelmed. Questioning what and why I do what I do.


I remember telling Ashley, when she asked me to teach a workshop, I said that I was a mess -- that I wasn't "holy" enough for a Christian conference-- that I wasn't a "big enough" blogger to teach anyone anything. And I am a mess. I wrote my workshop on the plane (confession!) and I let a lot of things slip, a lot of the time.


And what was so, so beautiful about the conference -- beyond the practical advice, meeting everyone -- was that I could just let my walls down.

The thing is, yes, I am a mess. I am. I can't do anything on my own, but I believe fully that I don't have to. I believe that God is enough for me-- that He gives me strength when I don't have any. And honestly, lately, I have no strength. Being at the Influence Conference was the reminder that I don't have to be it all or have it all together-- that I can rely on God.

I needed that. Heading into this week, I'm getting on a plane again. It'll be the third weekend I'll be gone. This weekend I'll be at ReMake, hosted by Brit & Co and I am so excited for it -- but I have a lot to do.

So I'm holding onto the truths of the Influence Conference -- that I don't need to be enough; that His strength is sufficient when I am so very weak.

xo, erika

p.s. I also learned so much other stuff--- I especially scribbled down a TON of notes from Jeff Goins and Shauna Neiquist-- and I hope to share more of their wisdom in the coming weeks. 

p.p.s. I brought my camera but did not take one photo. I kind of feel like a failure. So enjoy these slightly fuzzy iphone photos... 



12 comments

  1. It was wonderful. And refreshing. Do, keep remembering grace not perfection. Ps. I took my camera to the meetings and only took three pictures. No biggie. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That "How was it?" question was really hard, especially in relation to this conference! But like you, I was also feeling burnt out and questioning my calling before the conference, and now I am refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree on the "how was it" question. It's hard to explain to people who don't understand. And it's always a good reminder to hear that it's okay that we aren't enough. We CAN'T be enough because then we wouldn't need Jesus. HE is enough for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so funny about the camera thing... Me too!! I definitely didn't take the time to lug around ol' reliable. I just used my iPhone for most everything.

    It was so nice to meet you Erika! You're such a sweet girl. :) -Blessings.

    mel
    thebeesknees-mel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't take a single photo with my "real" camera either! Glad I'm not the only one. I'm so glad I got to meet you this past weekend! I'm having a hard time putting into words what I learn, but I know I feel stronger in spirit than I have in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So good to meet you, girl! I also did not take a single picture with my real camera...part of that was the whole charger issue, of course. :-P I bet your workshop was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Influence takeaways. I felt similarly to you before heading to the conference and it was an oasis in my spiritual desert. I wish we would've had a chance to talk a little more than just rushing around on Sunday morning, and I was so glad to hear from Lindsay that you made your flight home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even get on social media at all, crazy! It was so nice meeting you and sharing a lovely dinner with you. I am still trying to process everything, its overwhelming, but the good kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was about to apologize for calling your blog "rogue and whimsy" when we first met but then I remembered we ran around in the rain and kicked a guy out of his taxi together and thought, nah, we're past that ;) You were such a sweetheart and I wish we could have connected more at the conference! Two days just isn't long enough ;) Enjoy this season even with it's business! I look forward to more recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erika! Great meeting you and your ADORBS jumpsuit! Seriously you did ROCK it! :) Thanks for putting yourself out there and doing your workshop! I totally enjoyed it! You inspired me that when my sis-in-law and I start our blog... We should def do some fashion posts! Now I'm not so intimidated! And thanks for sharing your heart in this post. I'm a mess too! For real! :) But God is so good & faithful! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I'm actually Rachel Jackson! Sorry my darn Google account needs to be fixed! :)

      Delete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs