10/9/13

swiss chard vegetable soup

I've probably mentioned this before, but the husband isn't the biggest fan of leafy greens.
He is a pretty strong vendetta against kale and I'm pretty sure it extends to swiss chard.

But I like swiss chard and it's really, really good for you-- so I want the husband to like it too.

The solution? Stick it in soup, add bacon and top with cheese. (A side of bread doesn't hurt either.)



ingredients:
1/2 onion
4 pieces of nitrate-free, natural bacon
3 garlic cloves, minced and diced
5 tomatoes (or can of no-salt, diced tomatoes)
1/2 can of tomato paste
3 to 4 carrots, sliced
1/2 bunch of swiss chard, stalks chopped and sliced lengthwise.
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 can of garbanzo beans
2 cups water
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt


(please note that my carrots are purple! Farmers market for the win.)

- Cook bacon in pan and remove, cool on paper towels and crumble.
- Reserve 1 tbs of bacon drippings and cook onion in it (best thing ever? Food cooked in bacon fat.)
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic cloves and cook a minute or two.
- Stir in carrots, tomatoes and sliced chard stalks. Cook another minute.
- Add tomato paste, broth, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add in garbanzo beans and bacon pieces, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

Right before serving, stir in torn chard leaves.
Serve immediately with grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese and crusty bread.




Also, just to be warned, this is one of what is sure to be many soup recipes. Soup is my biggest go-to for fall and winter cooking. 

xo, erika



5 comments

  1. I can't wait to try this! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. That looks delicious. I'm so excited for soup weather, this is the year I'm going to conquer soup making. For some reason I just... can't. Pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm that looks really yummy. I've been doing sweet potato and pumpkin soups this week but I may need to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making a lot of soup recently. It's the best after taking a break from making/eating it most of the summer :).

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs