9/17/13

diy banquette seat with Ikea Expedit


The husband is probably not going to want to go away anymore.

This is the second time that I've embarked on a big project while the husband is gone, although this one was far less extreme. Last time I ripped up the carpet in our master bedroom; this time around, I built a banquette seat for our kitchen table.

I don't know why I get the itch to do home projects when the husband is gone. We could chalk it up to my absolute love of surprising people. That and watching far too much "While You Were Out" on TLC back in the day.


So the husband took off this weekend to see the University of Washington play in Chicago and I was at home with free time on my hands. And obviously I fill my free time with projects. (This may not be normal.)


I've been wanting a bench/banquette seat for my kitchen for awhile. We live in a pretty small and older house (thank you, expensive Seattle real estate market) but we have people over quite a bit. We try and fit enough chairs around our table, but it's not the best use of space. When I saw some projects on Pinterest where people used an Ikea Expedit bookcase as a banquette around their tables, I knew it was the solution.


Also, our old and small house does not come with a ton of storage -- especially in the kitchen. I don't have a pantry or really much cupboard/drawer space at all and creating a banquette with storage underneath solved a bit of that problem as well.


I bought two Expedit bookcases -- a longer one and shorter one -- and installed it (thanks Mom and Dad for coming over for dinner and Ikea assembly). I also bought drawers and a cupboard addition at Ikea designed for the Expedit, which helped me maximize my storage even more.

I then purchased thick foam from Joanns. They'll cut it lengthwise, but they won't trim the width, so using an electric knife, I trimmed the foam width from 24 inches to 15 inches.


Rather than sew a cushion cover, I chose to simply wrap the foam like a present, using duct tape on the back. It may have been a slacker move, but you can't tell I used duct table, and from what I can tell, the fabric is staying nicely.



I am really pleased with the finished product and cannot get over how perfectly the Expedit fits in my little kitchen corner.


And the husband loves it, too.  Whether he liked the surprise or not, I'm not as sure. I don't know that he's as keen on them as I am. ;)

xo, erika

16 comments

  1. What a fantastic idea, and looks awesome too. Great surprise I'd say!

    Gemma
    fadedwindmills.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. ekkk!
    Love the look! I would totally do this if I had my own kitchen...or my own apartment *chuckle*
    Thanks for sharing! The pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So perfect! I love built-in storage and having benches for a table is great for fitting on lots of people :) I too love surprises so I love hearing when you do them ...and yay for no trips to Walgreens walkin clinic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic!! I love the surprises that you surprise your husband with when he's away!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks amazing! such a good idea. I love an ikea hack...now you have me thinking - where can I do something like this in my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I've thought about doing this for a while now too, but have never seen the shorter expedit.. is that a 2x4(cubes) that you just assembled as a 1x2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one longer one and shorter one and made an "L" with them. You may be able to order them online?

      Delete
  7. This is a fantastic idea (and would totally work in our kitchen, too). Definitely just forwarded this post to the beau to see if it's something he'd dig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SO CUTE, I'd want to hang out there all day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the kind of thing I'm looking to do in a corner of an old house. Did you attach it to the walls? And what did you do about the corner?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the kind of thing I'm looking to do in a corner of an old house. Did you attach it to the walls? And what did you do about the corner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You purchase two expedits, and they overlap in a corner-- if that makes sense.

      Delete
  11. The expedite seems kind of low for table seating. How does it work with your table? Did you add a base or legs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the height is great! No need to do anything.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is an old post, but I Googled Expedit bench hack and landed here. So cute!!! But also, where oh where did you find such a darling pillow to accent?

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs