9/10/13

still running + why I believe in exercise

 
 
After I ran my half marathon in late June, I took a bit of a break. I still ran, but not as often. I was busy and running was no longer something I had to do as I wasn't training for anything.

Weeks later, however, I realized, that I need to run. It's not because I felt like I was getting lazy or wanted my body to look a certain way, but rather I need to run for my mental state. When I don't run, I am not my best self, to the point that even the husband notices.


Doctors advise at least 20 minutes of cardio activity at a minimum of three times a week. They advise this for your heart and physical body's health, but I would argue that even more so, people need it for mental health. Even the Mayo Clinic recognizes exercise as a healthy way to deal with anxiety and depression.

To be honest there are days when exercising, and running, is the very last thing I want to do. I dread lacing my tennis shoes; I take forever to get myself out the door. But once I'm there, feet pounding the pavement, I feel the tensions of the day release.  And I've never regretted working out once I've finished.

I don't know if running is for you. Maybe you like biking or swimming or kick-boxing. But find something that you like -- or even just kind of like-- and stick to it. It takes awhile to get used to exercise --  people say it takes 40 days for a habit to form -- so you're going to hate exercising for awhile and even maybe for a long time. But it's worth it, I really believe so. At the very least, I know it's worth it for me.

 xo, erika





9 comments

  1. It always amazes me how much running is a mental thing. It can be hard to get out the door, but the way I feel afterward is totally worth it and you're right about not regretting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to get back to running or some form of exercise. I think it a reason why I haven't felt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm right there with you! not doing it to look a certain way or to even run a marathon but since i've started running, i've done it to feel good! loved every bit about this post, erika!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get back to running! I always feel so great afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like that about so many things... I dread getting it going, getting started on it, or some of the prep, but then I just LOVE it.

    Christen
    http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article!

    I most definitely need to get into a routine of exercise. As weird as it sounds, I always feel strange as I start to run until I actually get into it and ALWAYS feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I TOTALLY agree with you! Running is THE BEST. It makes me feel alive, awake, happy, energized... the best! So glad you feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel exactly the same way! Running makes such a marked difference in my overall well being. It's become a part of me even though I'm not serious athlete. There's a romance to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen. I agree with every word! I am waiting for my doctor to clear me for post-baby exercise, and my legs are literally itching. Running is definitely a type of drug! No other exercise affects me so addictively :)
    If only I could become addicted to ab exercises...

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs