10/15/12

the best pumpkin bread ever. really.


Back when the husband and I were dating in college, sometimes he would come back from visiting his parents with a few baked goods from his mom.

Sometimes one of the baked goods was pumpkin bread.


And when I say it is the best pumpkin bread ever, I really am not exagerating. There was one fateful day when the husband came over to my house and my college roommates, no joke, chased him to the kitchen, clamoring to get a piece. Really. This happened.

It happened because the pumpkin bread is truly the best ever.

It only took me 7ish years to make it on my own. And I'm sharing it with you.

pumpkin bread recipe: (note this makes three loaves. While that may seem excessive, it really isn't.)
3 cups canned pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 cups white sugar
6 eggs
4 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves

1. heat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour three loaf pans
2. in a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, sugar and eggs.
3. in another bowl, combine flour through cloves. Stir gradually into pumpkin mixture until well blended.
4. pour into prepared pans and cook for an hour. the loaves should spring back when lightly pressed.
5. remove the loaves after cooling for 5 minutes and wrap with foil. (this keeps them soft!)

If you're planning on frosting the bread, it should be completely cool-- ideally cooled overnight. Unwrap the loaves and slice the bread and then frost.

cream cheese frosting:
1 cube of butter (1/2 cup)
8 oz of cream cheeese
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Soften the butter and cheese-- my mother-in-law suggests leaving them out of the refrigerator over night) and then beat them together with a mixer.  Add the powdered sugar gradually while beating with the mixer.


While the bread is delicious, what really makes it is the enormously unhealthy and delicious cream cheese frosting you top it with. My husband adamantly believes this is the best part. The dogs, clearly agree.

left: my parents' dog Bridget (we're dogsitting), our monster, and our neighbors' dog Oly who happened to be over at the time as well.

xo, erika

10 comments

  1. Yum! I haven't made pumpkin bread in a while and I could use a new recipe...especially one with cream cheese frosting :) and I love the pic of you and doggies!
    our neighbor made a "pupcake" for their dog's birthday and of course I took Milton over. The frosting was made from peanut butter and cream cheese! needless to say the dogs loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw you had a puppy party! I'm going to have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can i just say that i remember that moment in the soho kitchen quite clearly! and i remember that pumpkin bread. i think i'm drooling just thinking about it. yum. thanks for posting the wonderful recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I can't wait to make this!!! Perfect for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful! I love all things pumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at your little boy!! Sitting all good! I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1- the bread looks divine! I love basically any combo with cream cheese frosting so I'll definitely have to give this a try.

    2- That last photo is priceless! Haha my Ringo sits in the kitchen just like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't wait to make this :) thanks for sharing!

    Corgi's will eat anything....have you noticed? but frosting I bet is a sure favorite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Erika. I made this bread - yep, all three loaves, and LOVE it. SO...I also blog for Yakima Magazine - a special publication for the Herald. Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I shared the yumminess with Yakima. Your photos is WAY better, but I think they'll get the picture. I linked back to you. You can check it out here: www.yakimamagazine.com Thanks again for sharing this!!!! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, great last photograph! Looks (and sounds) delicious

    ReplyDelete

oh that's so nice of you to say hi :)
i read every comment and would love to respond to you as well! if you have a question for me-- make sure your email is linked to your blogger account so I can get back to you or leave your email so I can get in touch! (see how to do so here!)

Theme created by Andrea Mehner Designs